Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what gear am I missing?

Some of this is unconventional but it's what I already had. Wondering what else is necessary, and what I might have to borrow in the meantime, because I'm about bought out.

Rifle:

16" 410 stainless BCM barrel, 12" Daniel Defense guard, Geisselle SSA trigger, UBR stock, JP comp and buffer spring, Spikes buffer, plenty of mags

Larue mount

Burris MTAC

Pistol:

FNX-40 with 6 mags, Glock 35 as a backup if I have to borrow gear but I like the FNX better

trijicon sights

shotgun:

FN SLP in stock configuration

Benelli SBE II that I can build if I have to switch over for some reason

Belt setup:

Double Alpha inner/outer belt

BladeTech WRS holster

two BladeTech Revolution double mag pistol pouches

two BladeTech Revolution single rifle mag pouches

four 4-shot Man Mountain Engineering shotgun caddys

glasses:

old school Oakley M-frames with big orange shooting lenses

Best I can figure I still need:

low profile ear muffs

some kind of backpack case or cart

maybe some kind of pistol sight press

maybe empty chamber shotgun indicator

Please let me know if I'm missing anything obvious.

Looks like you're pretty much all set. You might find the Trij sights a little big for 3-gun depending on the flavor of the matches you are attending and if they use lots of small plates. But I sure wouldn't change them until running a couple matches, they might work great for you.

For hearing protection I've gone away from muffs completely in 3-gun. I've finished way to many stages with ringing ears after shooting a rifle from an awkward position and the butt lifted the muffs off my head enough to break the seal. Mostly this year I used the Surefire plugs and they work great. The downside is they are like $15 a pair and I seem to lose one at every flippen match I go to.

For carrying your long guns the Midway drag bag is a whole lot of case for the money. I've been using mine 2 years now and haven't managed to break anything on it.

For a chamber plug on your shotgun, I've never been to a match that required it as long as you leave the bolt locked back. That said, I do keep on in my bag so I can lower my bolt on it in dusty or wet conditions.

Best advice I can probably offer is to get out and shoot a match or two before spending another dime if possible.

um, ammo! sounds like you have enough gear to get you started, or damn near. only thing I see right off is an extension tube for the shotgun, because starting 9+1 means you have 5 fewer shells to stuff in after the buzzer and most strings seem set up for 8-9 and then a reload.

as far as ammo, I was serious. If you're set to load, work up a 40 minor load that your gun likes. way cheaper than switching calibers, and it will give you the chance to play.

Then I would STRONGLY suggest not buying a thing besides match fees and more ammo until you shoot a bunch of 3 gun. then you can see other people's stuff, decide what you like and go from there. I tried to modify my stuff as I went, and the only original parts on my AR are the pins, I think. otherwise, go have fun and see what works for you

Will 16 rounds of shotgun on your belt be enough?

Hell if I know. I'm asking you guys. :) If I need more for now then I'm going to have to throw them in a skeet bag or in my pocket or something. I figure in the future if I stay in this I'll get a +2 vest.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

only thing I see right off is an extension tube for the shotgun, because starting 9+1 means you have 5 fewer shells to stuff in after the buzzer and most strings seem set up for 8-9 and then a reload.

FN's come factory with 8+1. I should already be set for now in this regard. Could add a cap in the future if necessary but it should be ok for now.

Then I would STRONGLY suggest not buying a thing besides match fees and more ammo until you shoot a bunch of 3 gun. then you can see other people's stuff, decide what you like and go from there. I tried to modify my stuff as I went, and the only original parts on my AR are the pins, I think. otherwise, go have fun and see what works for you

The only thing I've bought specific for gearing up for 3-gun is my belt setup, the scope, and a few extra pistol mags. I had everything else for no good reason other than I'm a country boy with some land.

I figure if I stay in it, I'll sell the glock and get a 2011, but this should be good for now, I like all these guns. If I feel the need for a different AR, I've got a Seekins lower, could build a 3-gun specific upper for it. This one works much better than most factory tactical style builds though and I'm used to it, so whatever. I will probably see the need for an adjustable gas block soon but the Spikes buffer softened up the recoil quite a bit. I already have a JP silent captured spring buffer thingy. Grabbing one of their gas blocks and a lightweight BCG would probably be awesome but I don't feel the need for now.

The biggest thing I'm not comfortable with at this point is the scope. I don't know how in the hell I'm going to hit stuff at 300-500 yards with a 1-4x scope with a big red dot on it. I'll see how it goes though. Worst case I'll sell it and get something nicer next year. These MTAC's are on eBay for like $318 or something. Couldn't justify spending more before I knew what I was doing. Plus I'll mostly be competing in St. Louis assuming I stay in it, and the longest shot they've ever had was like 140 yards from what I can tell.

Great topic - seriously, just go out and shoot a match. There are a tone of guys that have been shooting for a long time that would be jealous of your current setup. There is nothing that can replace the advice you will get from the guys you shoot with and putting it to action. Welcome to the sickness my friend! Even if everything you have runs perfectly I bet dollars to donuts you find great reasons to buy alternatives this coming season, then next year, then the year after.... you get the idea (its a sickness).

The biggest thing I'm not comfortable with at this point is the scope. I don't know how in the hell I'm going to hit stuff at 300-500 yards with a 1-4x scope with a big red dot on it. I'll see how it goes though. Worst case I'll sell it and get something nicer next year. These MTAC's are on eBay for like $318 or something. Couldn't justify spending more before I knew what I was doing. Plus I'll mostly be competing in St. Louis assuming I stay in it, and the longest shot they've ever had was like 140 yards from what I can tell.

If you go out and use targets similar in size to what you will see at 3-gun matches you'll find making hits to 400+ yards with your MTAC easy. 9" paper plates make great targets to duplicate the hit area on most flash targets. You will find that the appropriate dot for your range is easy to bracket inside the plate.