Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you prefer Heavy or light Upper?

I personally do not care for a weight forward balancing gun. My game gun is 10lbs even but perfectly balanced. While holding the gun shouldered standing unsupported if i remove my support hand nothing changes, the muzzle doesnt dip nor do i need to change anything in the way i support the gun. For me this allows the broadest possible degree in flexibility for any shooting position. My M4gery feels very similar but its 2 pounds lighter. I generally pick a bbl i like and choose the stock and foreend around that to get the balance i want. Sometimes takes some trial and error.

The more I think about what you said, " if i remove my support hand nothing changes, the muzzle doesnt dip nor do i need to change anything in the way i support the gun."

It make so much sense.

Thanks.

Just wondering if people prefer a little weight on the barrel or to handle recoil or try to get it as light as possible? Like does everyone run to get the lightest free float or do some like a free float with some kinda weight?? What are your thoughts on weight out front of the rifle...

Sorry... Not even sure I asked this right..

My JP15 with an 18 inch Light Weight contour JP barrel is my favorite AR of all time. It shoots as good as my heavy barrel Krieger precision gun at a lot less weight.

Pat

Some difference in recoil i'm assuming right? Does it effect your time at all?

Just wondering if people prefer a little weight on the barrel or to handle recoil or try to get it as light as possible? Like does everyone run to get the lightest free float or do some like a free float with some kinda weight?? What are your thoughts on weight out front of the rifle...

My JP15 with an 18 inch Light Weight contour JP barrel is my favorite AR of all time. It shoots as good as my heavy barrel Krieger precision gun at a lot less weight.

Pat

Its a very soft kicking gun. Of course that is thanks to the great SJC titan comp. I had a very good stage last year in Texas on the long range stage so the lighter barrel is not hurting me at all.

Pat

Pat

Its a very soft kicking gun. Of course that is thanks to the great SJC titan comp. I had a very good stage last year in Texas on the long range stage so the lighter barrel is not hurting me at all.

Pat

Nice to know.

Also, I've got a friend giving me a Titan to try. Looking forward to seeing how well it works. I've read sooooooo many good posts about the SJC. Excited to try one.

I started 3 gun with a lightweight barrel, but switched this year to an M4 profile barrel. I only notice the weight difference before the buzzer goes off. I have watched video of both rifles, and with the JM comp, neither barrel rises much. I do think that the light barrel is easier to swing around a fast, "room clearing" stage, but I don't notice any difference for the long shots. Adrenaline is a good equalizer for me, I guess.

Edited by S&W627shooter

Shot my first match at the Creekside Tactical Rifle Match this past Saturday. Use my 16" lightweight with 15" Midwest Industries SS gen2 free float,and A2 stock. Was trying to get some balance. Tried the Magpul CTR but it was front heavy. With the A2(I just happen to have) it was more balanced.

What I realized:

- The weight make little difference to me. Heavy or light. My problem is "That's was my first rifle match". LIghter or heavier would have made absolutely no difference.

- So much to learn before little things like weight will make any difference. I'm assuming it's not so heavy that your arms and shoulders are not sore from just using it. Other than that any rifle is fine just about.

Things to practice with any rifle:(Things I learned I need to work on from that match)

- Learn proper shooting stances. Get good with several. Make sure you can hold zero in those stance as best you can. Get STEADY! be prepared for crazy shit. Shooting while the rilfe is in a hanging noose. Shooting keeping the gun at a 90 degree to the ground. Beware of the 90 on a table and your bolt catch button. Had issues with my rifle turning into a bolt action after every shot on that table. Had to charge it every shot. Fellow shooters diagnosed it as, i had pressure on the button slowing the bolt carrier down. Thus not cycling like it should. I think a BAD lever could be even worse.

- Learn the game and the method of scoring. 1 in A or 2 anywhere. Or B zone, C zone, D zone = added time. It makes a difference. Learn the game.

- Get reloads under control with good form.

- Figure out what to do with your support hand. Where to grip . How to grip, etc. Find what works best for YOUR follow up shots.

- OH.... A BIG ONE FOR ME: Learn your hold overs. At all distances. You know how almost impossible it was for me to hit a small 3 inch by 3 inch square at like 2 feet?? While zeroed at 100. Holy shit almost impossible unless you were willing to take 10 shots to walk it in there.. 9 of which was in the no shoot zone.. that hurt. But I learned where to hold it right there in the match.. Obviously I wasn't in the running for the championship. So I used the match to further my research. Hurt my score but helped my game.

I think the round count was like 130-150 or so. I went through over 250 rounds. Sometimes sending lead downrange just to FEEEL more. Lots of learning. And a few gracious Re-shoots from very cool ROs that knew this was my first match. And buying a mulligan for my worst stage. (Long distance)

Bottom line, forget the gun. Get an AR. Learn the above stuff first(I'm sure there's a million more things but that was hit home for me on that first match). Worry about the gun later.

I could have borrowed a top shooters rifle all decked out and it have made ZERO difference. Unless someone has smart bullets.

Thanks guys for all the advise and listening to my brain dumps... It also helps me remember if I can share what I learned.

Rocky

I have one set up that is pretty heavy, and another that is purposefully light. At first, I thought I'd only use the lighter one for hoser style matches, but I find myself going to it more and more often. It hits reliably where it is supposed to and hasn't hurt me on the long(ish) range targets yet (385 and in). For BRM3G, I'll take my heavier gun to tackle the stuff closer to 500 yards.

I think there are a lot of things that play more of a factor in how the gun handles than the overall weight. If it's is balanced well, fits you well, and you have no problem starting and stopping it in your transitions, then a pound or two really shouldn't matter.

In the past, I've relied on a medium contour barreled JP. This year, I primarily shot a light contoured JP and really liked it. Do I shoot it any better than the medium contour? Nope. Faster transitions on close range targets? Nope. Better match results? Nope.

I think heavy or light is the least of your concerns although the trend among younger shooters seems to be headed towards lighter and shorter. Check out a bunch of different guns, pick one, zero it and "prepare for glory."

Good thread with great insight from some heavy hitters.

I initially read it due to your "Rocky Patel" screen name. I was reading this last night burning a very good Rocky Patel "The Edge". Great smoke.

The edge is one of my favorites. Also his "olde world reserve" is towards the top of my list. Would be cool to see if MR. Rocky Patel would consider supporting the shooting community. I'd drag his banner around and some cigars to every match I go to and hand them out and hang the banner somewhere. Even if I had to wear it like a cape. Plus a RP logo would be so cool on my jersey.. or cape.

Let me say again how much I appreciate everyone weighing in. Insight like this will help all new shooters move towards their potential faster than trial and error..

Thank you. :bow:

Edited by Rocky Patel

I initially read it due to your "Rocky Patel" screen name. I was reading this last night burning a very good Rocky Patel "The Edge". Great smoke.

The edge is one of my favorites. Also his "olde world reserve" is towards the top of my list. Would be cool to see if MR. Rocky Patel would consider supporting the shooting community. I'd drag his banner around and some cigars to every match I go to and hand them out and hang the banner somewhere. Even if I had to wear it like a cape. Plus a RP logo would be so cool on my jersey.. or cape.
Great idea!

I am placing an order this week. I will try the old world reserve

Dave