Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Flip-Up Sight - Install on Versa Max Pictures

Tcon260

I am contemplating installing a Ruger Flip-up sight on my Versa Max for those "tight" slug shots that some times pop up on Stages. I am interested in install pictures any may have. Has anyone installed the Ruger Flip-up or other rear sight so that is is adjustable for windage and/or elevation? Seems like bending the barrel is a bit of "smoke and mirrors". Then what do you do if you change slugs..brands...low recoil to .non low recoil. What say you?

I'm also about to tackle this part of the process for a Versamax, and am interested in any information folks here can provide. I'm hoping this is adding to the topic & not hijacking, but:

I've seen 10/22 sights that are adjustable for elevation and windage, as well as Marble brand sights that appear to be a very similar design. One intriguing thing with the Marble sights is that I see them available in varying heights. My current plan is to get a Hivis Tricomp and a folding rear sight, I'm just trying to figure what height rear sight to go with. Any information/advice?

Nathan,

Not hijacking...looks like a couple of us are interested.

I am interested in a folding sight because most of the time we are shooting plates, and I don't want to be "hindered" with a rear sight. And I want to be able to "sight in" for slugs. I shot a few groups today at 50 yards with two different brand of slugs. Each brand grouped in an entirely different location. I would like to buy a couple hundred slugs, sight it in, and be done with it until I run out of that batch of slugs. At $.75 a shot...not to mention the abuse to my shoulder...

Below are pictures of a Ruger 10/22 sight (Marble's #69 is the same thing) and a fixed XS set in the vent rib) Keep in mind that if your shotgun is shooting POA=POI when sighting right down the rib then adding a rear sight above the plane of the rib will mean you now need a taller front bead or sight to keep everything lined up. (Pictures are Benelli barrels, the Versa Max rib is similarly shaped)

c3c3c919.jpg

35da35bb.jpg

GunCat,

Thanks for the pics. My POI is high right now, but figure that I an get that all adjusted with raising the front FO...got to do some thinking on the right combination.

Do you think the better location for the rear sight is back towards the chamber end or in the middle where the mid bead is located...especially for older eyes?

GunCat,

Thanks for the pics. My POI is high right now, but figure that I an get that all adjusted with raising the front FO...got to do some thinking on the right combination.

Do you think the better location for the rear sight is back towards the chamber end or in the middle where the mid bead is located...especially for older eyes?

The XS sight can go just about anywhere that your eye likes it (ideally dovetailed over a support post). The 10/22 sight is much taller, if you do not install it in the lowered rib area you'll need to add a much taller front sight to get it to line up properly.

So what do you use to raise the height of the front sight? Some sort of shim?

Depends upon how much taller the front needs to be. A shim under the existing front sight may do it or if more height is need a pistol or rifle sight might be install up front. Pat Kelley has some pictures of sights dovetailed into the rib that work well (and allow some windage adjustment too)