Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well, after re-running the numbers..... looks like the total sits at $920.97, but it includes a $80 grip from a fellow shooter that still had the trigger and mag release in it. Changing the build from a .45 Auto to a 9mm, dramatically impacts the usable parts from the Sarco kit and when I re-ran the numbers the cost for getting all parts directly from Brownells only adds another $40 bucks to the build bringing the cost to $958.29. Anyway, I have time for this build, since the focus is first on the open gun...

Cheers!

That was 7 yards. Forgot my pistol rest, otherwise I would have probably put all of them on top of each other. I was skeptical at first about this "affordable" barrel, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Others claim to have had similar experiences. I do have to say that the fit with the Colt A1 slide was very good, but I did have to clean up the bottom lugs to get to full lockup. I have to say all the parts were decent and worked fine, but could be cleaned up by the end user (seams removed, stamped edges removed, etc.) if one desires more visually aesthetic parts.

• 1 month later...

That was 7 yards. Forgot my pistol rest, otherwise I would have probably put all of them on top of each other. I was skeptical at first about this "affordable" barrel, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Others claim to have had similar experiences. I do have to say that the fit with the Colt A1 slide was very good, but I did have to clean up the bottom lugs to get to full lockup. I have to say all the parts were decent and worked fine, but could be cleaned up by the end user (seams removed, stamped edges removed, etc.) if one desires more visually aesthetic parts.

Nice work!

I've found the "budget" builds depend on timing of parts buys/sales/trades, connections in the business-land of guns, and being able to have the space to leave a project sit on one of my benches waiting for that above noted timing to come together. Personally, I need to leave it out rather than put it away until the next phase, or it gets into the "out of sight" phase. Excellent work and thanks for the vid.

Nice work!

I've found the "budget" builds depend on timing of parts buys/sales/trades, connections in the business-land of guns, and being able to have the space to leave a project sit on one of my benches waiting for that above noted timing to come together. Personally, I need to leave it out rather than put it away until the next phase, or it gets into the "out of sight" phase. Excellent work and thanks for the vid.

Thanks, enroute! I fully agree, that timing is everything. Like I mentioned before, these Sarco kits are hard to come by as they get snapped up quickly. Waiting for my 2011 frame got the best of me, so I picked up a standard Classic Caspian frame from my local gun shop to play with (until I get my 2011 builds going). Here are a couple of pics of the progress so far:

wpid-20131226_001507.jpg

wpid-2013-12-26-00.17.03.png

Everything is still in the "white". I bobbed the hammer, and polished all the paint (or whatever that is) off the Sarco parts. The mill spec grip safety had to go, so I slapped a Foster Ind one on that I had around ($16 bucks if I remember correctly). So far most of the work is just cosmetic. The overall formula has been: CHEAP PARTS = LOTS of METAL WORK! but frankly that happens even with high end parts, but not to that degree.

Enough of the 1911, hopefully I'll be posting about my 2011 build next! I have just about everything for that except the frame, barrel, slide stop and firing pin retaining plate.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now let's get back to the 2011 build! Current cost sits at $900 bucks without blueing. I was unable to post the parts table, so here is link to the shopping list for my 2011 build: http://triggermeister.com/a-cheap-2011-build/ .

and some pics of the slide:

wpid-20140213_234300.jpg

wpid-20140213_234240.jpg

wpid-20140302_110533.jpg

Edited by TriggerMeister