Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

June 21st and 22nd 2014- The Freedom Munitions Memorial Multi Gun Matc

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that isn't exactly what is ment by a 4 moa target. A 4 moa circle at that range is about 50 square inches, an 8"X8" square is 64" square, but a 8" triangle is only 32" square.... that is around a 2.7 moa target. That is no more a 4 moa target than an 8" tall 1/2" wide strip would be a 4 Mao target

I knew they were gonna be really small when I setup on the big plate rack at 100 and could hit them. I found my zero 10" low and 4-6" left. Not sure what happened there but in hind sight I wish I would have only wasted 6 rounds of my freedom ammo on the the triangles and took the 60 second penalties.

Hind site is always 20/20.

Many THANKS to our staff, Freedom Munitions, all the sponsors, the crew at Clinton House and mostly the competiors. I witnessed numerous acts of great sportsmenship and fellowship, You folks motivate me and the crew at Tarheel3gun to provide you a safe, fun and fair experience. We had a blast at this event...my hat is off to you guys for your efforts.

Please feel free to contact me with any suggestions....your input is a valuable part to making Tarheel3gun successful. Make sure you try and get out to one of our monthly matches, two day shotgun matches or one of the 3GN regional events...go to Tarheel3gun.com for all the info on upcoming matches. Hope to see some of you folks at the July Reminton Veramax Shotgun Challenge or the 3GN DPMS mid west regional in August.

thanks for supporting the sport of 3gun!

I had a bad weekend but still had fun hanging out with everyone. Got DQ'd on stage seven for being stupid and not properly grounding my shotgun. I knew better.

Then to add insult to injury someone ran into the side of my bright blue F-150 while we were on the range. To whomever did it thanks! You could've at least been man enough to own up to it!

Edited by bigjimmy57

What's everyone think of the total time match scoring?

Basically what Jesse said. My example is that somebody on our squad had a shotgun go down hard two shots into the 33 round shotgun stage. The FTEs add up to 300+ seconds in penalties, so, if you end up with a final score of about 320, that is 15%. That means for a total meltdown a 50% shooter gives up about 35 stage points (4% of the match points) and a 75% shooter gives up about 60 stage points (about 7% of the match points).

In a time-plus match, you just get 300 extra seconds...and the TO winner was right at 400 seconds. You give up almost half the match points for one meltdown.

At the opposite end, we shot two 3GN classifiers. Fast guys shoot them in like 8 seconds. If you shoot 12 seconds in a points match, you just gave up 33 stage points. In a time plus match...you just give up 4 seconds, so those stages count very little in the final result.

So, I prefer points matches (especially when stages can have different point values to represent longer/harder vs. shorter/easier stages), but as long as you know the scoring system before you go in, you can plan your stages accordingly.

Anyway, the stages were very good and a lot of fun to shoot. On top of that, the match ran so smoothly that, even with one backed up (long range) stage, my squad finished early both days. I didn't think finishing a 3-Gun match early was even allowed! :)

Edited by CJW

Total time works great on small stages or similar stages like IDPA or the 3GN pro series as long as the penalties are relative to the overall stage time. Two instances where total time lacks are big shotgun and long range rifle stages. Loading the shotgun and shooting long distance is slow so those two things add a lot of non shooting time to the total time versus a speed shoot that is all shooting.