Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silver solder on compensator vs. pin and weld....any difference with r

wanttolearn

Does the heat involved in the silver soldering technique "hurt" the barrel? Does the drilling of a pin cause pressure to deviate the bore?

thanks

none of it "hurts" a bbl

use pinned and welded on a lot of guns including my 16" pin&weld lt wt 3 gun most accurate bbl i own

go for it

had 10 or so done ovrer the years. make sure u want that done as u will destroy the f/h-comp top get it off

jjw

Does the heat involved in the silver soldering technique "hurt" the barrel? Does the drilling of a pin cause pressure to deviate the bore?[/size]thanks[/size]

none of it "hurts" a bbl

use pinned and welded on a lot of guns including my 16" pin&weld lt wt 3 gun most accurate bbl i own

go for it

had 10 or so done ovrer the years. make sure u want that done as u will destroy the f/h-comp top get it off

jjw

Does the heat involved in the silver soldering technique "hurt" the barrel? Does the drilling of a pin cause pressure to deviate the bore?[/size]thanks[/size]

none of it "hurts" a bbl

go for it

jjw

What barrel are you using?

none of it "hurts" a bbl

go for it

jjw

none of it "hurts" a bbl

go for it

jjw

What barrel are you using?

i ma a large yhn aNd dan def dealer so i sell them as they are the best at 2 price ponts. i am in the security busness mostly ovr seas and trg business where uncle suger want us.

i carry 2 uppers

1. 11.5 with sure can by dan def lit wt A/P M4-S

2. same bbl @14.5 with sure connector. a.t.f. can go f--k them selfs. i work for d.o.s. with s&b 1x4 ffp for nite work.

3 gun bbls

11.5 just as above but with eotec

14.5 cut by adco pinned and welded for s/f connector by colt old skinny most accurate bang stick i own & eotec

few of us shoot 3 gun i just do it for fun and field testing. due to kaboom 4 yrs ago not competitive. titanium rods and screws in back are not fast. L.O.L. rock castle had to pull out 2nd day.

u CAN NOT LEGALLY silver solder unless atf rules changed & i missed it. u MUST PIN AND WELD. hence be sure or destroy f/f-connector on removal if u must. i am also a c-3 dealer in ohio

hope this helps

jjw

High temperature silver soldering is an ATF approved method for attaching a muzzle device and has been for many years. Practically it just ins't feasible. To do it correctly two sweat holes must be drilled 180 degrees apart at the mid point of the threads on the muzzle device. Without those holes, there is no way to draw the solder in sufficiently to make it permanent. 1100 degrees will draw back the heat treating on the barrel and muzzle device leaving them susceptible to premature wear (flash cutting).

High temperature silver soldering is an ATF approved method for attaching a muzzle device and has been for many years. Practically it just ins't feasible. To do it correctly two sweat holes must be drilled 180 degrees apart at the mid point of the threads on the muzzle device. Without those holes, there is no way to draw the solder in sufficiently to make it permanent. 1100 degrees will draw back the heat treating on the barrel and muzzle device leaving them susceptible to premature wear (flash cutting).

Brownells offers Silver Solder PASTE, it is powdered Silver Solder mixed with flux. It is an easy process, and properly done will not harm the barrel.

Here is a GREAT Thread on AR15.com on the subject http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/407395_Perm_Attached_FH_with_1100_degree_silver_solder.html