Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case processing .223 on a Dillon 1050 SUPER swaging question.

Case processing .223 on a Dillon 1050 SUPER swaging question.

I wanted to see if I could tap some information from you guys processing .223 brass on a Dillon 1050 SUPER.

I inherited a few buckets of .223 brass mostly collected between 2005 and now 2013. It is mostly once fired and collected from outdoor range(s). I am not going to sort the brass by head stamp. There is a mix of crimped and non-crimped brass.

I am setting up the swaging station of my 1050 SUPER and would like to get feedback on how to set it up. Is there “master key” of sorts that I could index off of and get a large percentage of my crimped .223 swaged?

Below is a list of the head stamps that I have collected in my bucket of .223 brass.

Any helpful comments are appreciated.

Thank you, gentlemen.

AC

CBC

CJ 93

F.C.

FIOCCHI

G.F.L

HORNADY

HOT SHOT

LC ( 07 thru 12)

M193

PMC

PPU07

PSD
R-P

SPEER

WCC

WINCHESTER

TAA

Every case web and every crimp is going to be different. You may swage one type and BARELY get the crimp out where in another the same swage destroys the primer pocket.

Best bet is to sort by head stamp and run from there with the swage setup for EACH head stamp. Its a pain in the ass, but really IMO the only way to do it correctly.

I process LC brass exclusively, mutliple years, so far, every piece of LC seems to be good no matter the year at one swage setting.

Every case web and every crimp is going to be different. You may swage one type and BARELY get the crimp out where in another the same swage destroys the primer pocket.

Best bet is to sort by head stamp and run from there with the swage setup for EACH head stamp. Its a pain in the ass, but really IMO the only way to do it correctly.

I process LC brass exclusively, mutliple years, so far, every piece of LC seems to be good no matter the year at one swage setting.

This sorta works for me as well. But I sort by head stamp, sell everything BUT lc and wcc nato, and leave the swager adjustment alone... :)

jj

I process lots of mixed headstamp brass on an old RL 1050. I set the swag adjustment for military LC brass and leave it alone. I get 99 percent of the brass running well especially if you are loading on the 1050. The primers line up better on the 1050 than the 650 from my experience. I haven't primed on my old RCBS stuff in so long I have no opinion any more of the amount of swage required.

If Are you going to be loading this brass up for a high end bolt gun then certainly separate weigh and ensure the chamfer are perfect.

If you are loading for AR's and the 3 gun game then you will be fine without sorting by headstamp.

Cheers

Retread.

I set the swage for LC with my 1050, and run all kinds of headstamp through it, so far haven't had any problems. I think because the primer pocket conforms to the lc primer pocket dimensions.

I process lots of mixed headstamp brass on an old RL 1050. I set the swag adjustment for military LC brass and leave it alone. I get 99 percent of the brass running well especially if you are loading on the 1050. The primers line up better on the 1050 than the 650 from my experience. I haven't primed on my old RCBS stuff in so long I have no opinion any more of the amount of swage required. If Are you going to be loading this brass up for a high end bolt gun then certainly separate weigh and ensure the chamfer are perfect. If you are loading for AR's and the 3 gun game then you will be fine without sorting by headstamp. Cheers Retread.

What they said!!!

setup swage for the BEAST.....LC and all other brass will be swaged properly also!!!

as is the 9mm thread....setup 9s for WCC and S&B