Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Way To Go

Birddog6424

So I'm one of those guys who is always scheming and tinkering. From what I have read, I fit right in with the lot on this forum.

I'm a 1911 fan. I have two, getting ready to buy a 3rd. I have been scheming on a way to get back to that platform for my 3 Gun weapon as I am currently using a Match 9mm. But the bottom line is, 2k for a 2011 STI just doesn't seem worth it to me just for a 9mm (not my favorite caliber) that will get beat up at 3 Gun.

That's how I ended up with the Match. It's a fantastic value. But if it's true of the Match, it's gotta be true of the higher end Tanfoglios. But is it worth it to step up to a Limited?

Or would I be fine in investing the $135 for a magwell and just running it till it dies? What else is different?

My first Tanfo was the Elite Match in 9mm used primarily IDPA and Steel. I'm also a huge 1911 fan - shooting CDP in IDPA and SS in USPSA. Then a shot a Limited in 40 - LOVED IT- ended getting that. The main difference is the grip and balance on the gun. I have the old style rubber grips on my Match ( supposedly thicker than the new plastic ones ) and the stock walnut grips on my Limited -- the added front strap checkering and rear checkering makes the gun feel quite large , significantly larger than my Match but I like it. The Limited is also heavier and the balance point is a little more forward , it also has the cone bull barrel putting more weight up front and low for quicker follow up shots. You get an ambi safety and magwell - but be warned if you buy new - I think you only get one magazine from factory and you are going to either have to put extended bases or slam pads and all your extra mags to get them to work with that magwell.

I have a Match in .40, then I got a Hunter in .45 and fell in love with the competition frame, the checkering on the front and rear of the frame locks on your hand like Velcro! I felt like the 6" top end made it too nose heavy so I sold it and bought a Gold Team upper. The GT barrel has too many holes and not enough comp, so I traded it for a 9mm Limited upper with the idea of making a custom long slide Open gun, but it shoots so sweet I'm going to keep it the way it is for now.

I had hoped the cone barrel would feel no different than the straight barrel, but it's awesome! Now I can't stop drooling over that .40 in the classifieds with the Henning Bull Barrel.

Match frame on the left, Hunter frame on the right:

IMG_20131011_045734_685_zps26c4fe3d.jpg

Mag well bolted to the Match frame:

IMG_20131011_045827_196_zps546a94d5.jpg

You can see it's shifter back slightly:

IMG_20131011_045856_387_zps5cf657d6.jpg

Compared to the Hunter:

IMG_20131011_045943_676_zpsce056ca8.jpg

but it still works as intended:

IMG_20131011_045842_015_zps2685d736.jpg

I though about filling in the bottom of the hole in the back of the Match frame with weld and re drilling it a hair further forward so it would line up perfectly, but that's low on my priority list.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on that magwell again. For the life of me I seem to recall that in order to make that magwell work, I would have had to file down some of the hump at the bottom of the backstrap. And even then by the time I lined up the bolt hole it was pretty far off.

I think that was the stock magwell off a Limited. He swapped it off for a bigger, fancier one.