Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extremely Lightening Slide

SSGJohnV

Hello All,

I'm interested in getting my Para P16-40's slide lightened, both for the cool factor and for the performance advantage. My local GS is willing and able to do it, but I need to decide how exactly I want to go about it. I've thought about going like a G34/XD(M) 5.25 and just taking a hunk of the slide off between the front sight and the locking lugs, but could I go even further than that and make it essentially look like a Beretta M9 slide? By that I mean leave the rails, locking lugs, front sight, and bushing lockup area intact, but remove the inbetween metal as much as possible. Would that be feasible? Seems like it would take the most weight and I wouldn't mind the look of it.

Alternatively, I was just going to get it tri-topped and diagonally cut behind the front cocking serrations for the cool factor. Any input on this to provide me? I know I'm going to have to change my loads and play with recoil springs to avoid battering my frame, but I'm 90% sure I want to cut my slide up. Thanks.

-SSGJohnV

PS: It's a stainless Para P16-40 from 1999 and I was going to get it cerakoted right after the milling, so no need to worry about screwing up a finish.

I've done lightening on my own slides. I generally remove as much weight from the very front of the slide as possible. For me it's more about balance than just cutting weight to cut weight. From what I've read you also don't want to go lighter than 11oz on slide weight. If you do this it can cause unlocking issues and premature wear on the barrel lugs. Hopefully someone like benny hill will post to verify this stuff.

Thanks for the info. Gans looks promising. About how much weight do standard 3 or 4 hole cuts take off?

I am looking to improve the balance of the gun, as well. It feels more front heavy than my single stack 1911, oddly.

Imho i would analyze first what my performance with the existing setup. Do you feel it's too heavy for you? Are the sights too slow for your eye sight when it returns back? have you tried analyzing your hits? Once you finish with lightening, you know its irreversible. Not unless you replace it a new slide and have it fitted...