Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm pierced primers

rhyrlik

Hi:

I built a 9mm 16" barrel AR a couple of weeks ago and been trying different loads. I noticed that with 4grs of Bullseye and 125 grain Zero JHP (#162) bullets it pierces primers. I found a vague reference that fast burning powders are a no no in long AR barrels. I don't understand the reason. My 4 gr load is nowhere near max. It has an OAL of 1.135". It uses WSP primers. It works in my pistols without any issues.

Please explain this cuz the load shoots four times more accurate than factory WWB and I wanna keep using it.

Thanks for any help.

I use small rifle primers for my 9mm AR ammo. You could also have a bad/worn firing pin that's protruding too far. In order to diagnose this issue, this tool:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/firing-pin-protrusion-gauges/firing-pin-protrusion-gauge-prod26477.aspx

is essential.

(SLR AR armorer here)

Galaxy Note II + Tapatalk 2

Edited by KellyTTE

The rifle is designed to use ammo with small rifle primers. Small pistol primers can be used, but as you see, the pin hits it really hard. A shorter pin (-.010) or weaker hammer spring can be used, but then it would not fire rifle primers.

I know you like Bullseye powder, however your rifle would work better on a slow pistol powder say Hodgon HS-6 at a max load or Power Pistol powder. The slow powder would love that long barrel. You could easly push a 125gr. JHP to 1600 fps.

My 2 cents worth.

Edited by rstandley

I went out and shot it again today. I tried 231 powder with WSP primers and they pierced. I also tried FC-200 and CCI-500 primers with Bullseye and they did not pierce. I think the piercing issue is a combination of the heavy hammer blow and the pressure curve of the load. WSP does not pierce with slower burning powders like AA#7 or WSF, but these don't deliver the same accuracy as Bullseye or 231 in this rifle.

Thanks for the feedback.

• 8 months later...