Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major in 38S/SC barrels?

DrLove

Took delivery this week of a relatively new 38 SC. Planned on having it fitted with a new 9 barrel but of course decided to shoot it first.

Took it to the range Wednesday and fired 250 rounds of 9 major along with about 100 rounds of 38 SC. After sighting the gun in I started with 38 SC and as expected the gun performed without issue. The 9s performed equally as well. I then took a couple of magazines and alternated rounds within the magazine between 9 and 38 SC. The gun noticed no difference between the two loads. It shot equally as flat and accurate with approximately the same amount of felt recoil with the 9 as it did the 38. The gun performed flawlessly with both loads. Did not have a single misfeed, failure to eject, not a single anomaly with any round of 9 major.

I was so impressed with the way the gun performed with the 9 major that I shot it the following night at a match. Again the gun performed brilliantly in every respect, No different than my other 9 open that was designed and built from the beginning as a 9 major.

Before purchasing I spoke to several prominent gun builders who explained to me I had a better chance that the 38 SC, rather then 38 super, would handle nine major due to the Aftec extractor being tuned the same for both rounds.

While I understand my experience with the 38SC cannot be considered a universal maxim that all 38SC will perform the same with 9 major as did mine, I did want to share my experience and hope that it might shed some light on this issue as others were having the same questions I did.

Edited by SMS2

Good report! One of those examples where practice beats "theory" any time.

I too, have shot the two calibers interchangeably, without any noticeable difference.

Edited by Foxbat

I shot an indoor match yesterday with my .38 Supercomp, and it's been a while since I shot it, but, it didn't feel quite right. When I shoot open, I wear distance glasses, and can't see much close up. I thought the brass I was picking up looked/felt short. When I got home and unloaded my range bag, I found that I'd grabbed 9 major ammo instead of .38 Supercomp ammo. I found 6 pieces of fired brass with pierced primers, and the rims torn from the extractor. It doesn't appear to have done any damage to the gun.

I don't know what possessed me to grab 9mm ammo. Probably because that's what I usually shoot outside. I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it on purpose. :surprise: