Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

setting up a safariland ELS belt

trlloyd

Reading about the Safariland ELS system. I take it the beauty of the system is that you can modify the belt pretty much on the fly by using the ELS adapter plates.

Is there certain items I would leave on my belt in the same place everytime I shoot, such as my pistol holster and a spare mag or two for the pistol?

Then maybe have shotgun or rifle mag pouches attached to the ELS plates?

I am new and have never shot a match before, I do not even own a belt specific to competition. I have Fobus holsters both paddle and one which attaches to a belt and that goes the same for a dual spare mag pouch.

I do not own any shotgun or rifle pouches.

Thanks

Todd

Mine is setup so everything can be moved. i have a QLS plate for the holster and ELS plates all the way around. I shoot uspsa limited and tac irons in 3 gun. so the belt can change very fast wihout having to take i off. If I have a heav shotgun stage with no pistol I have a shotshell holder that has a Qls fork on the back to replace the holster.

The QLS is a bigger stronger als adapter.

Edited by quicky06

Mine has been cannibalized until Jan I sold my FSL-12s to someone who had money and couldnt wait until the next run whch worked out because i can afford to shoot any more 3 gun untik spring..I normally run from right hip around:

QLS Safariland ALS holster, (can be changed to an additional FSL-12 if needed)

FSL-12

FSL-12

FSL-8(slugs and or buckshot)

Safariland pistol pouch

Safariland pistol pouch

safariland AR Mag pouch

safariland AR Mag pouch

This gives me 32 shotshells plus 9 in the gun with the ability to add 12 more i needed

40 pistol rnds plus 21 in the gun. and more then enough AR mags

Now for USPSA limited i Currently use the same holser although i am looking at race holsers and i have 3 of the same mag pouches i use in 3 gun

Have you ever encountered times when more than 1 extra 30 rd rifle mag was needed?

I am the opinion it is better to have and not need than to need and not have. However, with that being said, I do not need my belt being cluttered up.

Also just getting getting started do not want to spend a small fortune on equipment. I also do not want to "settle" for a product which I am going to change out down the road.

i understand the small fortune. the FSL are not cheap.

I have never been on a stage that required more than 60 rifle rounds. Now i dont keep two 30 rounders on the belt. I keep a 30 and a 20. The 20 is great for prone, and doesnt slap around as much. the only reason i always have two is in case of a malfunction or I drop a mag or something. now the ar mags dont clutter up anything or me they are both at 6-8 oclock.

• 4 weeks later...

I have my Safariland 014 holster attached directly to the ELS System belt everything else is attached via ELS plates.

How do you like this set up? Im moving to the 014 for my limited and open gun that i just picked up. I am running the same set up with the els system

• 5 months later...

I have been running the ELS set up for about 8 months now (3 gun, USPSA limited, Tuesday night steel) I have zero complaints. Currently I run 3 AP custom 4x4 shell holders, 3 pistol mag holders (safariland), an AR mag holder(safariland) and I run the ALS for my pistol holster. If you can get a "50 % off" card for safariland it would be ideal. It saved me a few hundreds of dollars. It is so versatile for any stage I have encountered. I also keep 2 extra attachments on my belt in case I need another pistol mag or what not.

I am looking at getting a 014 holster. I have heard good things.