Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

prone and props

p7fl

Regarding props we had one on a stage at our match this month. It was pretty simple pickup cat carrier and move it from barrel A to Barrel B. Along the way engage targets as you saw fit. Carrier must be moved from A to B before opening door to engage additional targets. We had a number of shooters try different things such as shoot while holding it (some with both hands other strong hand only) others would set it down shoot, pick it up, set it down, etc. We had one guy set it down, engaged all targets, got to the door and realized he had forgotten the cat carrier. He proceeded to break the 180 BIG time. He literally did an about face and started heading back towards the cat carrier. Our RO's were on the ball and immediately stopped him but still it was very intense there for a few seconds.

Seriously? Yeah, I'm gonna dump the money and save my life.

You are carrying a briefcase with the days cash receipts in it. Are you going to throw it away or are you going to hang on to it while you shoot your way clear? Practical! Holding a fussy bunny that you are allowed to put one sloppy wet disgusting ear into your mouth, NOT Practical. Holding a doll the size and weight of a one year old, defending it and yourself, Practical.

If teh scenario is remotely linked to a practical situation bring it on.

Thoughts..

+1 to low ports or prone, along with everything else that most people don't practice (shooting positions that for SHO/WHO, etc.)

It makes matches more fun and all of this stuff comes up at majors... might as well include it in locals so people can have an idea of what it takes.

Prone/props, etc. In reality what are we talking about, one or two stages every now and again? I know some people would do it every time but most of us will see this only occasionally and as such it is no big deal. Adds a little something to the match. As long as everybody shoots the same match. And yes I am vertically challenged. Both in height and ablity to get up and down. As a matter of fact, I am not that swift horizontally either!

I like trying different positions as a shooter and as a stage designer. In 2012 I designed a stage with an optional low/prone port (port went from the ground upwards about 2 ft). You could take the last array through the low port or run 8 ft further to the side and engage around the end of the wall. I was the only shooter to actually use the prone port :) Hard to get people to go prone unless forced.

This year 2013 I made a stage with a forced low port, though not as low (from ground up to 3 ft or so). A very few went prone, most including myself went into a low kneeling position, a few a very low crouch.

Eric