Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 case trimming?

Blue Jacket

Well I don't have a lot of use or need for a Little Crow, but I hope someone will give a description of this attributes - or not. Does the thing bevel the inside and outside of the case mouth? That is one area that the Dillion falls short, and needs some type of extra step or you are left with a sharp square case mouth.

Tried to debur and chamfer once in all my ar15s and my ar10. Compared the accuracy of those rounds with others that were otherwise identical but NOT deburred/chamfered. The non-debur/chamfer rounds were about 3/4 moa, the ones that were were over 2moa. Made my decision about doing the extra step pretty clear. I now run em thru the 1200, tumble to remove lube, and load em. Both 308 and 223.
YMMV
jj

Ps;
As for the pencil sharpener type trimmers, they are great for a couple hundred rounds. But my hands cannot take using them. Try doing a full 5 gallon bucket of 223 brass in one sitting, you wont be able to move either hand... :)
Get the 1200 for large amounts of brass runs, you wont regret it. Do em all at once (once you have verified EVERY MEASURMENT) and then put the processing head aside. De-lube them and use that bucket of processed brass to load from. I process a whole seasons worth in the winter and then load em when I need em. 1 five gallon bucket of 223 takes me about 3.5 hours to run, and they are all the same.

Edited by RiggerJJ

Tried to debur and chamfer once in all my ar15s and my ar10. Compared the accuracy of those rounds with others that were otherwise identical but NOT deburred/chamfered. The non-debur/chamfer rounds were about 3/4 moa, the ones that were were over 2moa. Made my decision about doing the extra step pretty clear. I now run em thru the 1200, tumble to remove lube, and load em. Both 308 and 223.

YMMV

jj

Ps;

As for the pencil sharpener type trimmers, they are great for a couple hundred rounds. But my hands cannot take using them. Try doing a full 5 gallon bucket of 223 brass in one sitting, you wont be able to move either hand... :)

Get the 1200 for large amounts of brass runs, you wont regret it. Do em all at once (once you have verified EVERY MEASURMENT) and then put the processing head aside. De-lube them and use that bucket of processed brass to load from. I process a whole seasons worth in the winter and then load em when I need em. 1 five gallon bucket of 223 takes me about 3.5 hours to run, and they are all the same.

Something besides just deburring is going on if your groups got bigger. I have done the same experiment and found that it does help a bit but I don't bother with ball reloads only with match rounds. I have had rounds that I did not debur cause the bullet tip to get a slight ring around the ogive and it caused inconsistent seating depth. I deburred the next batch and problem solved. There is a reason high power shooters and precision shooters do all the brass prep and its not so they can get less accurate ammo.

Pat

Every time I do a batch of 308 and forget to chamfer the case mouths(my stainless tumbler takes care of de-burring) I ALWAYS shave copper off of the bullets when I load them. Put a chamfer on them and no more copper shavings.

YMMV

jj

Ps;

Something besides just deburring is going on if your groups got bigger. I have done the same experiment and found that it does help a bit but I don't bother with ball reloads only with match rounds. I have had rounds that I did not debur cause the bullet tip to get a slight ring around the ogive and it caused inconsistent seating depth. I deburred the next batch and problem solved. There is a reason high power shooters and precision shooters do all the brass prep and its not so they can get less accurate ammo.

Pat

I was using match ammo and shooting at 200yds. The swager backer rod on my 1050 does a slight case mouth expansion that I just remove with a taper crimp, so the rough edges are removed with the backer rod (inside), and the tumbling action and the crimper (outside). so I guess in essence I am actually chamfering and deburring with dies instead of the long slow process of doing it by hand. It also keeps from damaging the bullet by shaving or by forcing the bullet into an undersized case mouth.

when feeding 4 ARs for the 3 gun matches my wife and I attend, plus the ones we put on, plus practicing, the more mechanized the process is the better. :)

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ