Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full auto Taurus PT99?

Agney5

Pretty short story here, guy I know has a PT99 that he took apart and put back together and now it is full auto. You can hand cycle the gun with no problems until you get rough with it then you get the hammer follow. It will stop after letting off the trigger, I'm not real familiar with the gun and have only briefly had a chance to look at it. Apparently this has happened before and the gun was sent back and they "fixed" it and after about 200 rounds it has started again. It is properly assembled I do know that, but for whatever reason it is now a properly assembled full auto PT99. So if anyone has had any experience with this I would appreciate the help.

Edited by Agney5

Sounds like it needs a competent gunsmith and a completely new fire control group properly fitted.

Funny you say that, we are in gunsmithing school together. So we would like to figure this out, I have and idea of what is causing it but I'm not familiar with the gun enough to be sure. We could just replace the parts, but would rather find the problem than be a parts swapper. So I thought I would check here see if anyone could confirm what we are thinking is going on.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

BATFE considers any firearm that is capable of firing more than one round per trigger pull a machine gun, whether it was by design or malfunction. People have been sent to prison for being in possession of a malfunctioning weapon that was capable of full auto fire.

Generally it's a bad idea to post on the Internet that a crime has been committed that could land a person in Federal prison for 20+ years. BATFE has actually rolled tanks and killed people's families due to a single unregistered NFA weapon. You should consider that by posting in a public forum, that you are now on BATFEs radar, so I would be very careful how you proceed.

My advice, contact a lawyer familiar with NFA weapons and get his advice on how to proceed. The fact that this has happened to the same weapon twice makes me think its not worth the continued risk of owning it. The best solution may be to voluntarily turn the weapon over to BATFE and explain what happened. Taurus should be held responsible for both the physical and legal risk they are exposing their customers to.

Until you decide how you want to proceed, I would also immediately disassemble the weapon, and give the slide to a buddy to hold so that if someone comes knocking at your door, you don't possess the weapon or parts necessary for building an unregistered machine gun. Being in possession of parts capable of being assembled in an unregistered machine gun is constructive possession, and the same as owning an essambled weapon.

This is not something to take lightly. Technically, Taurus sold you an unregistered machine gun. Twice. Don't risk going to prison for 20 years for their incompetence.

Just my $0.02

Edited by Jshuberg