Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

12g 1oz vs 1 1/8+ oz loads: Noticeable difference?

Religious Shooter

Went to Wal-Mart to buy some shells after another shooter told me the Remington shells were available for under $3 per box.

I bought a 1000 of the shells to use in '05. They are 1oz, #8's @ 1290fps.

I guess the normal load is 1 1/8 oz. For 3G shooting is there a noticeable difference in performance in that 1/8 oz?

I was thinking of picking an additional 4-6 boxes of 12 gauge with a payload of 1 1/8 oz+ to use in any major match that I might go to. But if there is no noticeable difference I'd just stick with the 1oz.

Some of the cheep Rem shells are packaged in boxes of 20. They look like a great deal if you don't realize you are getting 20% fewer shells.

Pattern the shells at the distances you will be shooting. It's the only way to know what you have.

Made me look. :D

The boxes are for 25 shells.

I had a WTF? moment buying these shells from Wal-Mart. I live in Los Angeles City. I went to a Wal-mart that wasn't under the yoke of the LA City Council.

The shells were right there on the shelves where anybody can get at them. I was like WTF!

I've been living in LA too long. If you can find a gunstore here in LA, you will find the ammo behind the counter out of reach.

Anyways I can pattern them against a 1 1/8 load... but what I'm I looking for?

For IPSC and USPSA the minimum PF for shotgun is 520.

For testing/calibration of Poppers and plates the test cartridge specification is as below:

Test Cartridge Specification:

For Birdshot Stages

Birdshot – no. 7 or 7 ½ or local equivalent.

Power factor – 520 or less

(e.g. A cartridge of 28gr (1 ounce) shot weight at 1180 fps)

From this you can see that you should be OK with the cartridges you have bought.

Personally I would always shoot a slightly heavier load because I believe it gives an advantage.

My cartridge of choice is: 32 grammes (1 1/8 ounce) No. 5 at 1375 fps. The velocity is the manufacturer's quoted figure. In reality I've found that a lot of SG ammo seems to chrono lower than the manufacturer's claims.

I find the heavier shot offers me a target solution at greater distances which can be a tactical advantage in a competition and up close the targets are always slamming down.

I shoot a lot of Sporting Clays. I use those Walmart Winchester 1 oz 1290 fps loads for Sporting Clays. They are fast and have some recoil. They are popular as practice shells for high volume clays shooters.

I have probably shot 10 flats of those shells with no malfunctions or issues.

I have no comment on their use on steel but they will break clay targets reliably out to 40 yards!