Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

nickel boron coating

Has anyone done a nickel boron coating to their powder funnel? I know the 45acp funnel is notorious for sticking on the cases. Yes you can lube the cases and clean it off afterwards, but with the nickel boron coating I think it would make it much better.

Something isn't quite right with that. No coating, even powder coating, is .020" thick.

This place does it at .004" http://www.kcjplating.com/showcase-item.aspx?id=1&title=Nickel+Boron

So you'd have to take .008" off the powder funnel...but isn't that a taper? Your best bet in doing that, aside from a CNC machine, is going to be just a lathe and some emery cloth, continuing to mic it regularly.

I'd think you'd be just as well off to simply polish it.

He did say a half mil thick of coating. Guess I put the decimal in the wrong spot LMMFAO!! So I'm guessing since the powder funnel has more than one side I'm looking at a total thickness of approximately 1mil?

Edited by Franco79

1/2 mil would be .0005 inches, or would add .001 inch to the diameter. Chuck it up in a drill press and use progressive grits of silicon carbide sand paper to remove a little then polish, go slow and measure it often. You should be able to relatively easily take a mil off.

Would you need to reduce the funnel by a half mil? That is not enough to be a problem is it?

1 mil, 1/2 mil added all surfaces, so 1 mil total. Since case tension is what holds the bullet if you expand the case at the top .001 more the friction holding the bullet will be significantly less. .001 mil is an interference fit (have to force the parts together), .002 mil is basiclly a slip fit.

Wouldn't you simply adjust the powder die a fraction of a turn higher to keep from over-belling the case mouth? Are we making this too complicated?

That's what I was thinking too

Now that we've clarified this, I agree. I'd sooner back out the powder die than mess with hosing the factory taper.

Top of the funnel is tapered, bottom 1/4" or so is not. This is the part that would affect the hold of the case to the bullet, and is the part that 'sticks' to the case when running it through this stage. So if you want a coating on it then I would suggest reducing the diameter of this section to allow the final diameter after plating to be equal to the original diameter.