Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow model differences

Nimitz

I currently shoot a G34 in USPSA Production and am toying with the idea od changing Platforms but know next to nothing about CZs. Can someone explain the difference between the CZ 75 SP01 Shadow & the Shadow Target? I was looking at the CZ Custom site and they also have the 'build your own Shadow" option. It that a third option or just the Shadow Target with additional options?

Also, I've love to hear from any CZ Shadow competition shooters who previously shot a G34 ...

SP01 shadow is the base. Target, black etc are CZ custom guns. I would go with the target personally. The rear sight is adjustable and milled on the slide (among other upgrades).

I started with CZs but i heard lots of happy converters.

So if I went with the "build your own option" I would end up with a Shadow Target with additional options selected by me? For instance, there are several trigger options including "Factory SAO". Is this Single Action Only? If so, is that still Production legal and why would I pick a DA/SA trigger over a SAO trigger?

SAO (single-action only) is not Production legal.

Learning the DA/SA trigger is no big deal. Dry fire the snot out of it for a week and you'll be most of the way there. I was able to match my M&P Steel Challenge times with my CZ two weeks after getting in the latter.

So if I went with the "build your own option" I would end up with a Shadow Target with additional options selected by me? For instance, there are several trigger options including "Factory SAO". Is this Single Action Only? If so, is that still Production legal and why would I pick a DA/SA trigger over a SAO trigger?

Target will be a custom of its own. But yes, you can build a Target spec when you do build your own route and more. Price wise it may be cheaper just to go Target and upgrade as you go.

And correct, SA is not Production legal. The biggest issue is the manual decocking over anything. Do it slow, take your time, you will get used to it.

SAO is Single Action Only, and no, it would not be Production legal. That's why you pick a DA/SA over a SAO.

See 8.1.2.1, then 8.2.1, then appendix D4 - special conditions #1...a SAO in Production can't comply with the rules...SAO's must start cocked and locked, all Production guns with external hammers must start hammer down...

Edited by GrumpyOne

Anyone know how the pre-travel on the Shadow Target compares to the G34 with a Production legal competition trigger from Vanek or Glockworx? I assume it is less?

I have a 75 Shadow Target Custom from CZC that has the SRT in it. I'll take a vid pulling the DA trigger, the SA trigger, and the reset on it. I have a G34 with a stock trigger, but no mods on that yet.

I'll get it posted as soon as I can.

that would be fantastic! This is the last piece of info I need before making a decision to have one built ...

If you are planning on getting it from CZ custom, put in your order now. Get in the long line. Im sure you can cancel later if you decide otherwise. Try to shoot one as well. At my local indoor range, they have 1 for rent. Not as nice but its in the same family.

I talked to them and they said they are taking orders this month for delivery in Nov so that's not a bad wait at all. Not sure I want to put down $1300 for a gun before I shoot it so I need to find someone who has one. Unfortunately my MD said he didn't know of anyone who has one ...

Thats a decent time frame. I have a stock trigger G34 and ZEV deluxe on a G34. Big diff in pre travel. In my perception, the ZEV trigger has shorter pre-travel. But the CZ DA is smooth. It depends on how your CZ will bet set up but it will only be the first shot.

The good thing with the DA is when you dry fire youll get tons of practice with it. SA and reset beats the striker at any rate.

The only good thing i can think of the G34 reset is its more positive. It pushes my finger for reset. Shadow has very short reset, but may cause trigger freeze, or maybe not. I didnt have any issues though just thinking of the possibilities.

Yeah I assumed the DA pre travel would be longer than the 34 but it appears the reset and subsequent pre-travel on SA pulls is very small, on the order of 2-3 mms, which is significantly less than Production legal G34. It kinda reminds me of the trigger on my open rimfire BuckMark I use for SC.

I'm still a little leary of the DA first shot since I've never done that but if I can shoot one first I probably will get past it pretty quickly.

I also stippled my G34 given how much my hands sweat. Which grips do you have? The thick or thin ones? I was thinking of getting the thin, aggressive checkering ones which seemed the closet to my G34

hey, that would be great, thx! I'm probably making a bigger deal off it then I need to I just hate plunking down $1300+ for a gun I've never fired even though everyone ravs about it ... which grips do you have?

that would be fantastic! This is the last piece of info I need before making a decision to have one built ...

Hey sorry it took so long to get back to this. Here are a few (poorly done) videos showing the trigger pull. As a reference, this pistol is a CZ75 Shadow Target Custom from CZC and has the short reset trigger in it. The only other mod is it has an 11.5lb hammer spring vs the 13lb that I believe comes with it. DA pull is a hair over six pounds and SA is about 3lb 3oz.

DA pull:

SA pull and pretravel:

I will say there is no weight on that pretravel. You know it's there, but it's nothing until you get to the sear and then it's about 3lbs then hammer down.

Edited by RexKramer

Where to begin ....

Did you get your Shadow from CZC?

What prompted you to switch to the Shadow?

What spring weights are you running and what is the resulting DA and SA pulls?

How long did it take you to learn the DA pull first shot? Did you do anything special to train this?

What grips do you have? I was looking at the aggressive checking from CZC or the diamondbacks from Mink.

Did you notice anything different in felt recoil? I've heard the lower bore axis, heavier weight and larger beaver tail make a difference?

What trigger do you have? Factory SA/DA or factory 85 combat SA/DA (may be too recent depending on when you got yours ...)?

Overall, what's the major difference between the 2 now that you've shot both in competition?

Are you still happy you switched?

Hey sorry it took so long to get back to this. Here are a few (poorly done) videos showing the trigger pull. As a reference, this pistol is a CZ75 Shadow Target Custom from CZC and has the short reset trigger in it. The only other mod is it has an 11.5lb hammer spring vs the 13lb that I believe comes with it. DA pull is a hair over six pounds and SA is about 3lb 3oz.

DA pull:

SA pull and pretravel:

I will say there is no weight on that pretravel. You know it's there, but it's nothing until you get to the sear and then it's about 3lbs then hammer down.

Have you ever played with anyone else's Shadow that had a short reset trigger mod? Because I would bet $20 that yours doesn't have one. That looks perfectly stock to me.