Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Supernova polished action

Ludde

Here are a couple of pictures showing the surfaces of my Benelli Supernova parts after going over it with my Dremel and ultra fine polishing compound.

The sharp point of the lower part of the extractor groove on the barrel was slightly dulled (rounded of) with a small needle file and then polished. This removed the problem (FTF) of shells catching on the sharp edge while feeding.

At the same time I took the opportunity and polished the shell carrier/lifter and shell stop latches. Also the surfaces where the action bars ride and the action bars themselves where polished.

The pump action and loading is much smoother and slicker than originally now.

post-47354-0-90940600-1379436726_thumb.j

post-47354-0-42049500-1379436733_thumb.j

post-47354-0-46294500-1379436739_thumb.j

post-47354-0-16868800-1379436750_thumb.j

post-47354-0-87265000-1379436758_thumb.j

Polarshine 35 polishing compound by Mirka.

Visit mirka.com for more info.

Grit size 35 is actually the coarse alternative but it's really fine if you ask me.

It's easy to work with, I don't pre work the surfaces on Benelli when polishing with Polarshine.

• 4 months later...

it is a mod that I've been doing for 5-6 years now, and it works, you will need to check it once a year as the extractor will resharpen the edge

Trapr

I just want to make sure that this mod will stop the round from catching on the chamber. Im about to get rid of the gun due to this happening.

thanks Trapr

two things cause that to happen frequently, cheap ammo with bad crimps, or really bad crimps!!! and the sharp edge. its a very easy fix, don't buy cheap ammo, check the crimps on your ammo,and remove the sharp edge. I use a popsicle stick with a 1/2" strip of sandpaper, and wrap the stick with the paper and sand the edge to a round lip, much the same way we tend to round the edges of loading ports. go inside the chamber, on the top edge and outside the chamber with the wrapped stick take the sharp edge and make it a curved edge. you know you've done it right when you can drag your fingernail across the edge and not scrape nail off. The picture shown previously is only minimally radiused on the edge, i can post pics and show some other methods of polishing that edge tomorrow, but it will have to be on FB. you can go to Red Neck Tactical albums, possumwerks to see them

I'm not going to say this will END YOUR issues, but it tends to end 95-98% of the issues, there can always be other things causing the malf,

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

• 1 year later...

Apparently so, accidentally I assume. I have them saved on my phone and will post here.

You can see from the reflected light how more and less sharp the extractor cut edges are, more light equals less sharp

post-3384-0-47747500-1436218809_thumb.jp

post-3384-0-81251200-1436218821_thumb.jp

Edited by bigbrowndog