Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Distance shooting reference point

johnhhuber

Seeing is always the most challenging part of distance shooting for me as USPSA/IPSC targets have no real reference dots and I feel I am just trying my best to aim dead center of a very out of focus brown silhouette. My front sight is tac sharp but the target sometimes seems almost non-existent. I believe that lack of a reference point is causing my group size to increase because I am not holding on the same spot for each shot. Does anyone else have this trouble or have any suggestions on finding a reference point to aim at while shooting distant targets?

Thanks!

Many of us went through the same thing when 1st getting into shooting USPSA or IDPA targets, so don't feel like there is anything wrong with you. I remember saying the exact same thing as you the 1st time I tried aiming at a USPSA metric target at distance. Many of us were trained since youngsters to aim at very small circles or dots, so when presented with a brown piece of cardboard with no bulls eye to aim at, it can seem very bizare and/or frustrating.

I don't know if this will help you, but for me keeping in mind that the A zone does not change location whether at 10 yards or 25 yards, and using the shoulders of the target as reference points at longer ranges helped me to overcome the problem. You actually want to aim a little higher than center mass to hit the center of the A zone. The target being blurry is a natural thing when focusing on your front sight, so don't let that bother you, either.

You may also want to try putting a yellow sticky note in the center of the A zone, or slightly higher than the center, and use that as a reference point until your brain is trained to know exactly where the A zone is at various distances.

If I do everthing else correctly, I have no problem hitting the A zone, but I still use the yellow sticky notes on occasion when group shooting. I like the square 2 inch sticky notes.

Good luck, and happy shooting.

This is the precise problem I have been having. I decided to use the shoulders of the target as a reference point. I just put the sight a little low dead center between the shoulders. Remember the targets are of a standard size so once you have figured out where on the target the AZone is located you should be able to move from target to target without much difficulty. This is one of those things that can only be worked out by looking at the target.

Thanks! I will try the sticky note next time I am at the range. I think that will help me learn where to hold consistently.

I measured my sticky notes this morning and they are actually 3"x3".

Like Bart Solo mentioned, a lot of it is looking at the target until you become very familiar with the A zone at any distance. One day, either in a match or in practice, you'll find yourself placing the sights right at the center (3"x3" area) of the A zone without any conscious thought. It's a beautiful thing when it happens consistently.

I don't think it's a bad thing, at least in the beginning, to a allow yourself to remove the focus from the sight to the target for verification and then back to the front sight. I had to do that a lot in the beginning. It was slow learning for me, and sometimes frustrating, but eventually I got over it and no longer had to do that very slow and deliberate verification. You may not have to do that, not everyone does, but it's something else you may want to try.

Peace Out

you should not put anything artificial on a target that will not be there during a match in MHO. Every rep you do in training puts an imprint on your subconscious and during a match you will find it more difficult not less because you have been practicing with a reference point to help you and now there is no ref point on the target. remember, we are not bullseye shooting here, the A zone is huge and you know where it is on the target, right in the center, so just aim for that. It seems hard but with practice you will find it easy to do.

And the suggestion to shoot targets much farther than what you'll see in a match is a great one. When I first started out 15 & 20 yd plate racks were death for me. I then started training to shoot them at 30 yds. It was amazing how close they appeared in a match when you're used to shooting them at 30 yds. I've heard that Max trains with all his targets at 25 yds since at matches most targets are much closer & he can really run & gun ...

hang in there & you'll get it, this is not an easy sport ....which is why it's so much fun to do ....

Reference the top of your sight to the top of the target's shoulders and the sides of your sights with the edges of the target. Make sure you have the same distance for every shot. Eventually these reference points will be ingrained in your subconscious. This works for me especially since the target at 25 is blurry even before I focus on my sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Edited by tigerkf

Thanks for the replies! I have been practicing with a sticky note this past week and my groups have decreased in size. This week, I am going to practice without the sticky notes. Unfortunately, most of my practice is in an indoor range and I am limited to only 25 yards. Hopefully, before soon I will have access to a long range for a bit and will practice much longer shots.