Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to watch for when developing a 40 minor load?

ropsitos

I'd like to put together a minor/near minor load for 3 gun, since PF is not observed in TacOptics.

I generally shoot 180gr berry's though I happen to have 500pcs of 165gr berry's available as well. I prefer the 180's because they are easier to source locally.

I load the 180's with SR4756 (IIRC 6.5gr at just over major PF, 900-950). Shot from an XDm 4.5. I've not checked group size be it appears good enough for 3gun. I do suck at shooting groups so I may need to check from a bench as I work up a minor load.

I also have a 1lb of Blue Dot available.

Besides slide malfunctions and degraded accuracy, what else should I look for as I drop charge?

I've heard rumors of pressure spikes and such (usually in the context of light rifle charges) but I'm not sure if the same applies to pistol (or if it really applies to rifle).

Is the 165 or the 180 a better choice than the other as a minor load?

Same for SR4756 vs Blue dot.?

Are most people finding they need to change spring rate and slide weight to get down below a certain point?

Thanks
Bob

The first thing you will need is a quicker burning powder. The 2 you have will make a real mess trying to get down to minor. After that you should be good to go with the weight of bullets you have. The 180's would be the preferred but either will work just fine.

I agree with bowenbuilt, try 3.0 grains of Clays (regular not Universal or International) with the 180s and a touch more powder with the lighter bullets. Also don't go shorter than the suggested overall cartridge length, until you really know what you're doing (my $.02). Hogdgon's reloading data website should help.

data.hodgdon.com

Pretty much any powder that people think is too sketchy to make major in 40 in a short length is a good 40 minor powder. It will be a fast powder like WST, Bullseye, Clays, Solo 1000...etc. I have run a bunch of Solo 1000 and Bullseye in a Glock at 750 fps with a 185gr. with no problem. That is still well above minor, but it was soft and the gun ran fine and grouped well. From what I have tried, when you download a slow powder you may get decent accuracy but your standard deviation will be large. (I am talking like 70 fps large) No big deal if you don't have to chrono but I play a game that chronos so it was a no go for me.

I agree with bowenbuilt, try 3.0 grains of Clays (regular not Universal or International) with the 180s and a touch more powder with the lighter bullets. Also don't go shorter than the suggested overall cartridge length, until you really know what you're doing (my $.02). Hogdgon's reloading data website should help.

data.hodgdon.com

x2 This is my 40minor load. So soft it feels like cheating,

Hey as long as it hits the target it ain't cheatin' . A friend of mine mentioned 3.0 gr of WST for his powder puff load. You may have to adjust your recoil spring as well. Just make sure it reciprocates the slide fully and you don't get any stovepipes or failures to load.