Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using PB for 45acp

Buildit2

I am trying to come up with a recipe for a 45ACP load using IMR PB powder and Berrys 185 grain hollow base JRN bullet. Hogdon load charts show 5.2 to 5.8 grains PB but at 5.6 grains my chrono only shows 730fps. If PB too fast a powder for 45acp to meet an 850fps speed?

In my guns the hollow base bullets take more powder to get to the advertised velocity. You have more air space created by the hollow base. PB should have no trouble getting to 850.

Well maybe I'll try one disc up although I'm sure I'll be over the 6gr max. I mean it functions fine as is but I like to try and meet specs. It's the QA engineer in me I think. LOL

Edited by Buildit2

Interesting, I retested my 5.8 grain reloads using both large pistol primer cases and small pp using magnum pistol primers. As before the large pp loaded with PB fired a little weak at 750fps. However the small pp cases fired much lower at 650 and two even failed to completely eject.

I want to try this again with my unique load that chronoed at 850+ fps and see if the result is the same using small cci 500 and 550 pistol primers.

Are you trying to fit a round peg in a square hole? Longshot, Clays, HP38/231, Clays Universal, WSF, and others will all get your 185 to 850 fps.

I think PB is a bit too slow to make a good target/PF load.

Are you trying to fit a round peg in a square hole? Longshot, Clays, HP38/231, Clays Universal, WSF, and others will all get your 185 to 850 fps.

I think PB is a bit too slow to make a good target/PF load.

Lyman manual and Hogdon web site shows PB as applicable. So it should work, but moreover PB is a powder I can actually find so I'd like to use it where I can. If it doesn't make a good 45 powder so be it but then I really want to find one that does that I can buy locally. Stocking up now before the next politician creates a perfect storm and we're all begging for supplies. eyebrows_zpse9831f5f.gif

I too am finding that the load data for my PB does not match the claimed numbers for velocity. None of the loads I fired over the Chrono even come close to what IMR and Hodgdon load data suggests. Was wondering if it was just my being new to reloading was the issue

What COL did you use? If it is the Hodgdon data that you used the COL for the 185 it is a HDY LSWC with a COL of only 1.135 which seems awfully short.

I do have some old 1997 IMR data for a 185 gr MC HP with a COL of 1.210 this should be the link so you can see for yourself

http://web.archive.org/web/20010118230100/http://www.imrpowder.com/

I did load and test fire some 185 Hornady hollowpoints with 6.1 grns and only one of the rounds met the printed load data the rest pretty much were 10 percent below the printed velocity. These were loaded direct from that archived IMR data

I have also loaded a bunch of 225 gr plated FP at 5.4 grns which should be going way faster than the 730fps that I was getting. But I came up with this load on my own so I don't recommend it to others as I don't have any numbers on chamber pressure etc. But I didn't have any indications of overpressure and all the brass was falling much closer to me than factory Winchester FMJ's were.

Strange how this older data doesn't really match up with the current Hodgdon/IMR data

Loading manuals didn't come from "On High", they will at least give you a safe starting point. After that, you need to work up loads for yourself, watching along the way for pressure signs or other possible indications of a problem developing. Just work up slowly until you reach your desired FPS goal.

Loading manuals didn't come from "On High", they will at least give you a safe starting point. After that, you need to work up loads for yourself, watching along the way for pressure signs or other possible indications of a problem developing. Just work up slowly until you reach your desired FPS goal.

I guess that is something that comes with experience. For us newb's we are taking the printed data and treating it as "the word". ;) On a happier note I found a pound of longshot and made up two batches of rounds that I just tested. First batch came in at 800fps second at 870fps. So at least now I have a second powder to use for reloading 45's. :)

Edited by Buildit2

I too am finding that the load data for my PB does not match the claimed numbers for velocity. None of the loads I fired over the Chrono even come close to what IMR and Hodgdon load data suggests. Was wondering if it was just my being new to reloading was the issue

What COL did you use?

I was at 1.275 + .005in OAL. Thanks for the link to the older load data. I really wonder how much time and effort some of these load data groups really put into developing these charts. Some of the manuals I have seen have less than 5 powders listed for any one caliber let alone much variety in the bullets used. :huh:

Like Buildit2 said us new guys read the fine print where it says Do Not Exceed Max loads and that tends to put my brakes on. Any advice for any other pressure signs besides flat primers? What do we look for as we approach the limit of a given powder? Just want to be safe and don't damage my guns or myself...