Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm accuracy suggestions

Williamb

BTW: 4.1 of 320, behind a Zero .356, 125 jhp, was my standard IDPA, and Production load, and always chronoed around 1050

What was your OAL?

PD is on my want list. They seem to be back ordered for quite awhile.

thanks

1.125"

Just thought everyone might be interested in an update. Finally got to the range today with my chronograph. By the way I'm using an Oehler 35P with a proof screen.

I followed a post from Darrel in another thread where he said he uses the longest OAL for his pistol and then steps through various powder charges. So that's what I did for my M&P 9.

OAL 1.1550

MG JHP 124 gr

N320

10 shot groups

3.5 grains 752 SD 35 FTE & bad group

3.7 grains 832 SD 10 FTE improved group

3.9 grains 896 SD 7 better group than using 3.7

4.1 grains 946 SD 7 best group

4.3 grains 1011 SD 10 slightly worse than using 4.1 grains.

So 4.1 grains wins for best accuracy. (This also represented the total range for the powder as recommended by VN.) That is the same powder charge that was the most accurate as described in my first post but with a different methodology.

My next load development will be to use 4.1 grains and adjust the overall OAL. I will use 1.1550 - 1.1450 - 1.1350 - 1.1250 - 1.1150 - 1.1050 - 1.0950 - 1.0850. I will shoot all the OALs while monitoring the chrono. If I approach 1100fps I will stop. The VN N320 only calls for a max of 1050 with their megashock bullet. While I shot some of these OALs before with 4.1 grains I will reshoot them again since I have changed my technique to the better for shooting off the bags.

By the way I was shooting a NRA 25 yard slow-fire pistol target and everything was within the eight ring to center - about 3" off of some shot bags. Nothing touching the dust cover just my hands resting on the bags so the pistol could recoil naturally. Not small compared to my 45 which shoots one ragged hole but a definite improvement in the right direction for the M&P. It will never be known for accuracy.

I will keep you all updated on the results. Still looking for Power Pistol because from what I read should give better results with this bullet then N320.

Edited by Williamb

The XTP has a very similar profile to the MG JHP.

I use the MG 124 JHP @ 1.10 OAL and 4.0gr of Titegroup for a PF of 134 and low SD in my 5" M&P Pro. I tried VV N320 and the MG 124 JHP and wasn't able to justify the cost over Titegroup. Accuracy actually went down and SD up with VV N320. I saw very little change in FPS (like 0-5) when going from 4.1-.4.2 @ 1.12 OAL.

I use the MG 124 JHP @ 1.10 OAL and 4.0gr of Titegroup for a PF of 134 and low SD in my 5" M&P Pro. I tried VV N320 and the MG 124 JHP and wasn't able to justify the cost over Titegroup. Accuracy actually went down and SD up with VV N320. I saw very little change in FPS (like 0-5) when going from 4.1-.4.2 @ 1.12 OAL.

Very interesting. What type of accuracy did you get with the Titegroup and the N320?

At best they were equal and at worst N320 was slightly less accurate than TG in this load. I shoot offhand at a 2" black circle from 15 yards and my titegroup load will typically be in the 3" range.

I know many people really like N320, but titegroup works as good if not better for me. TG is half the price and *usually* in better supply.

Very interesting. What type of accuracy did you get with the Titegroup and the N320?

Interestingly I load 124 gr. Rainier plated round nose bullets with 4.9 gr. of Autocomp at 1.150 oal for a velocity of 950 fps and get great accuracy with that load out of my M&P 9 Pro 5". I think that combo of bullet weight and speed is what the M&Ps like in 9mm. I had other loads of 115 gr. using Universal and the same oal doing 1100 fps. The grouping just sucked something awful. Literally 3-4" at 20 yds at best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by twistrate

• 4 weeks later...

977fps is kind of slow for a 124gr bullet. I just noticed, you didn't mention the velocity (or if you'd chronographed) with your original loads. Did you find the OAL (going shorter) had any effect on accuracy? If you're not shooting anything where PF matters, I guess being sub 1000fps doesn't matter. Otherwise, you'll need to get that up into at least the 1025-1075fps range.

I did chronograph all:

1.155 - 942 18sd

1.145 - 946 12sd

1.135 - 954 10sd

1.125 - 974 18sd

1.115 - 977 12sd

1.105 - 989 16sd

I would agree all very soft. The 1.145 OALs gave me the best group. At 15 yards they were 1.5" off the bags. Even though I planned too I didn't bother trying at 25 yards as the result at 15 yrds was unacceptable.

From what I have read to get accuracy out of the MGs JHP you need to push them over 1050 and reduce the OAL even more than I have done.

To answer your question going shorter seemed to improve things a bit but difficult to really know. With 5 shot groups I was getting two holes touching then maybe 1.5 to 2 inches away I would get another 2 holes touching and there generally was a hole apart from these. This sole hole was probably the first round of a new magazine - that's my guess. I need the shots to tighten up. This was all at 15 yards.

I think I can actually shoot better freestanding as compared to off the bench. I rarely shoot pistols off the bench. I'm even thinking about using a Ransom Rest however our club does not have cement benches but wooden ones which will not be as secure a base. Oh well the trials of having fun :cheers:

977fps is kind of slow for a 124gr bullet. I just noticed, you didn't mention the velocity (or if you'd chronographed) with your original loads. Did you find the OAL (going shorter) had any effect on accuracy? If you're not shooting anything where PF matters, I guess being sub 1000fps doesn't matter. Otherwise, you'll need to get that up into at least the 1025-1075fps range.

I did chronograph all:

1.155 - 942 18sd

1.145 - 946 12sd

1.135 - 954 10sd

1.125 - 974 18sd

1.115 - 977 12sd

1.105 - 989 16sd

I would agree all very soft. The 1.145 OALs gave me the best group. At 15 yards they were 1.5" off the bags. Even though I planned too I didn't bother trying at 25 yards as the result at 15 yrds was unacceptable.

From what I have read to get accuracy out of the MGs JHP you need to push them over 1050 and reduce the OAL even more than I have done.

To answer your question going shorter seemed to improve things a bit but difficult to really know. With 5 shot groups I was getting two holes touching then maybe 1.5 to 2 inches away I would get another 2 holes touching and there generally was a hole apart from these. This sole hole was probably the first round of a new magazine - that's my guess. I need the shots to tighten up. This was all at 15 yards.

I think I can actually shoot better freestanding as compared to off the bench. I rarely shoot pistols off the bench. I'm even thinking about using a Ransom Rest however our club does not have cement benches but wooden ones which will not be as secure a base. Oh well the trials of having fun :cheers:

I have not found a more accurate powder with 9mm for accuracy then Power Pistol! With 115 gr. MG JHP they are the cat's meow out of my 19911 barrels, Kart, Wilson, etc. Do I like the flash and bang of Power Pistol? No, but I can find nothing better for accuracy...N-320 has never done it for me...1,150 fps seems to be the magic fps in a Kart barrel, so it would depend on twist..1 inch groups possible on a regular basis at 25 yds, benched with a red dot sight...Good Luck

Like I said previously, a lot of 9mm's like some velocity. I consider something over 1050 to be the bottom end with 124grn bullets in 9mm if you want gilt edged accuracy. Also... some guns prefer a somewhat slower powder. I have had excellent results with Silhouette at around 1100fps or more using MG 124 JHP's in 9X19, but similar results using lead or even plated bullets at those speeds. If you were shooting 147grn bullets, then the subsonic loads would probably shoot well, but for the lighter bullets I have never had good luck at those velocities you mentioned.

My experience with the S&W MP 9 (fs) accuracy is a lot of futility. The late 2012 build gun I had wouldn't hold 12" at 25 yards!

I tried everything from 115 to 147's. Was told the best option was an aftermarket fitted storm lake barrel for $200.

Sold that sucker, bought a Springfield Armory 1911 9mm and haven't looked back.

The SA will hold x ring (ppc target) at 50 yards....

don't beat yourself up over that gun...