Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What ideal FPS should I aim for during load development?

Fureio

Right now I'm practice shooting 230 gr LRN 45 at about 740 fps. I also have a case of Montana good 230 gr FMJ which I haven't broken into.

My frame of thought is that IDPA and USPSA major is 165 PF. 230 grain makes that at 719 fps.

I noticed that Winchester white box chronos at 820-850. Is that what I should aim for?

I may move to a 200 gr LSWC to get more bullets for my buck. I also read that the holes they punch are more pronounced.

The club I belong to wont allow shooting at anything but paper held on wood frames, so I won't need 900 fps like you would see used on pins or steel.

Any recommendations?

Do you need to achieve a certain "power factor"?

You only mention about shooting paper on wood frames. If you need to make Major for USPSA matches then your current load is just about perfect.

I load my ammo to make Major at 170-172 pf for USPSA matches.

If not loading for competition then anything that is accurate will work for shooting paper.

If you are going to shoot in competition you need to find out the required PF for the sport/class and then exceed it by 5. Then work up a load you like that goes that many FPS. Different bullet weights will require different velocities to reach your desired PF.

As for a recommendation: 200gr LSWC @1.245 with 4.0 grs of Clays - assuming you are using a .45ACP.

Right now just practicing with p aper targets. The goal is to get good enough to compete. I just want to get used to the recoil, work on muscle memory, proper grip, technique, etc.

I don't want to practice with a certain load then have to change it.

Thanks Steve! I have 2 lbs of Clays so your recommendation helps. I enjoy 230 gr. rounds but making the jump to 200 gr LSWC Bayou's seems like what I'll be moving to.

Honestly, I can't tell the difference in recoil between 185 gr and 230 gr WWB. I'm told as I progress it will become more apparent. Which is why I am trying to find the right components and stick to them. I don't think I'll shoot factory ammo again unless I need to defend myself carrying concealed.