Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zatoichi

Nolan

I just watched the latest Zatoichi movie with Beat Takeshi (Vic on Most Extreme Elimination Challege) as the blind masseur.

:D:D:D:D:lol:

I loved the Tyko/Japanese Riverdance at the end of the movie.

I liked this movie better than the originals.

Nolan

• 1 month later...
awesome swordplay!

Yeah, most of the swordfights were about the equivilent of one of the local Crips having a gunfight with the local IPSC GM. It's over before the loser :blink:

None of the typical Hollywood "Clank, clank, clank, clunk, clank, clank" back and forth sword battles. I think there were only 2 blocks/parries(?) in the whole movie.

Nolan

awesome swordplay!

Yeah, most of the swordfights were about the equivilent of one of the local Crips having a gunfight with the local IPSC GM. It's over before the loser :blink:

None of the typical Hollywood "Clank, clank, clank, clunk, clank, clank" back and forth sword battles. I think there were only 2 blocks/parries(?) in the whole movie.

Nolan

i guess it tried to show how japanese swordmasters are in that period. :lol:

have you seen another recent samurai movie, entitled Azumi? bordering on fantasy but very entertaining :D

• 1 month later...

Just saw this movie last night.

I specially liked how the fight with the bodyguard went on. The bodyguard visualized the fight in his mind while psyching (oh, I love those japanese swordplay psyching before the fights...... it's like the oriental version of a mexican stand off) and then Zatoichi beat him by changing his technique to another ne the bodyguard had never seen Zatoichi use.

The scene where he fights those henchmen in the rain is great too. And when he defends himself of the guy who wanted to "test his sword".

Great movie, and I found it a bit more fast paced than most of Kitano's movies while maintaining his style.

I saw it last week and really liked it. For a guy who learned his sword stuff specifically for this movie (according to the special features), he was absolutely incredible. He was very quick, too, and obviously understands how important relaxation is with respect to speed.

Very good movie.

I also watched "The Twighlight Samurai." Very little action, but an absolutely first rate drama.

• 7 months later...

ooooh, this zatoichi is a great modernizing of the classic. I loved it too. How takeshi used the hip to shoot is so similar to other martial arts but not like kendo (refined sport version of sword-art).

Talking about samurai movie, tasogare Seibei (Twilight Seibei) is the must. It gave you whole new meaing to what samurai is all about. It has very Japanese emotional context too. It made me cry river....