Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got an HK45

RussB

Pretty slow in here!

I picked up this used HK45 a couple weeks back. It has a LEM trigger group installed. Smooth shooting, accurate, yada yada. I installed a 10-8 rear sight to go with the factory Meprolight front, as I'm not a big fan of 3-dot sights. I still may replace the front with a fiber optic one...

I just got a Comp-Tac International holster and twin mag carrier. I'll use the dropped/offset for local matches.

DSC06533.jpg

DSC06532.jpg

DSC06522.jpg

DSC06524.jpg

I love everything about mine except the stock sights. I am trying to decide on what to replace them with. Right now, I am leaning toward the Dawson FO set I just wish it was adjustable rather than fixed. I have the 6.1mm front sight on mine and it shoots consistently low by about 3".

My gun came with the Meprolite night sights. The front is also 6.1mm. The 10-8 rear is the same height as the Mep rear. POI is just about perfect for me. Here's a target, off-hand @ 50' with a 6 o'clock hold on the black center.

DSC06513.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

RussB,

Did it have a standard LEM conversion or the LEM lite? There is a night and day difference in trigger pull between the two. Then next step is some spring changes to make it more like the USP45 tactical which has what they call a match trigger group. Just an FYI but you can use all the match springs from the USP series in the HK45 series including the HK45C. You can even use the match trigger which has a built in adjustable stop. You can eliminate as much of the over travel as you want. When you mix that trigger and the springs with the LEM hard parts they call it a LEM "hybrid" match trigger. It wil put you in at around 4-4.5lbs and if you do a bit of polishing (not metal removal) it makes for what IMO is one of the very best of those "safe" action trigger pulls out there. At least while still getting 100% tactical level relaibilty.

Now David Bowie does similar work for the over travel but instead of the stop being extrenal and adjustable on the trigger he makes the stop internal on the trigger by adding metal and then filing till you get reset and just enough to make it rock solid reliable. I prefer the latter way but unless you can TIG weld you would need to send it out for that. If I used the Hk match trigger stop I would loctite it once I got it where I wanted it to make it somewhat perminant.

The rest as you know from already doing V1 to LEM to V1 conversions you can do yourself. Anyways the parts are relatively cheap either direct from HK or HKparts or Numrich. You can then play with the different spring combos and really dial in the trigger for what works best for you. The great part from a carry and defensive prespecitve is they are all 100% HK offical parts for those specific actions and are all found on commerical released handguns so no "custom" dangerous gun debates.

If you want a parts list let me know.

I actually have a HK45CT in transit to me as we speak. Should be at my door Monday. I am wanting to try it out as my CC. Presenting using a massaged full size MP45. The full size HK worked but it was not ideal for warm weather wear because of its bulk. I was able to snag a extra standard size barrel so I can swap out the 4.5" tactical for the shorter one that runs flush @ 3.96". Not sure how much a dif the 0.6" will make in comforted concealed or wieght but we will see. Nice to have a full kit this way regardless.

My plan is to use a 8 rd mag with flat floor plate in the gun and then have 2x 10 rd as backup in mag holders to make up my kit. There is such a huge difference in the OAL of the handle between the flat 8rd vs the 10 rd with tactical bumper. IIRC was over 2"

I too plan to use the 10-8 rear site. I also plan to go with a fiber front eventually.

How did the 10-8 rear site install go? Did you use a punch to slide it in place? Any filing etc? I am ordering some tonight to go on the HKs. I have found in the past some sites take a bit of "fitting" before they go on. With a sight press thus using a brass punch I find getting a very close fit is that much more important so you do not bogger up the sight or slide.

The gun initially came to me with the standard LEM installed, and I have tried light LEM, and just about every configuration of the LEM trigger.

I did also drill & tap a trigger for a stop screw. What I found there was that if I adjusted away too much overtravel, the hammer would stike the trigger bar on its way down. This was causing some peening on the trigger bar. When I adjusted the stop screw to eliminate this, I was right back where I was with NO stop screw. I'm going to buy another trigger bar and re-visit the stop screw. That said, DA/SA works well at the range for me

The Meprolite rear night sight came out easily. The 10-8 sight needed some fitting. The cut in the slide appears to have been done with a wire EDM machine, and therefore there's a small radius in the corners. I carefully filed a radius on the sight to match up. It went in with a plastic punch & hammer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Very nice Hk45. I have always been a 9mm guy and relished the thought of 1911's and other .45's but I made an impulse buy last year and bought an Hk45. Now I have 3 of them and have bought a couple 1911's. (Although the 1911's went bye-bye recently.)

• 1 month later...