Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multiple Problems at the Range

rhino

I made it to the range for the first time in more than a week today. My goal was to confirm the zero of the iron sights and rezero the red dot on a Bushmaster AK shorty carbine. I had excellent luck zeroing the red dot, although I’m not sure if it will “hold.” We shall find out over the next few weeks.

Unfortunately I had some trouble with the iron sights. After the first group of five, I was pretty close to point of aim at 50 yards, but I need to lower the front sight a click or two. Before I did so, I made sure the rear sight was “bottomed out” where I wanted it (two clicks below the 8/3 mark). When check it, I found that the rear sight assembly was loose! ARGH! I fetched my set of allen wrenches to tighten the little screw that holds it to the carry handle, but I found that the screw was not loose; it was missing. Now I have to figure out what the name of that screw is and order a new one (and maybe a spare).

On the bright side, the point of impact was consistently within an inch of point of aim at 50 yards, which is not horribly bad for using just the front sight and hoping the rear is in about the same place every time. When I get the replacement screw, I’ll Loc-tite it and rezero as soon as possible.

Before I left the range, I decided to shoot a few groups with my Kimber .45ACP. The results were … unbelievably bad. I don’t know what’s wrong with me, but my inconsistency is starting to ruin my confidence.

Before I left the range, I decided to shoot a few groups with my Kimber .45ACP. The results were … unbelievably bad. I don’t know what’s wrong with me, but my inconsistency is starting to ruin my confidence.

Dude, if you don't knock it off, I'm going to kick your a$$ wholesale when I get home!!! Those damn sights better become your best and only friend on that gun and soon. You can shoot, and I've seen you do it. Don't give me this confidence crap either.

Funny you'all should mention this... all morning I've been scheming on going back to a twice-a-week practice pattern--no matter what the cost. This dinking around for an hour or so on Sundays with the .45ACP just ISN'T CUTTING IT...!!! :angry:

I was actually making cumulative progress with the twice-a-week routine last year and earlier this year, then I tried to cut corners (economically) and suddenly quit making any skills progress at all. Then I had a repetitive motion injury in April (right elbow, of all things!) that slowed me down, too. It's almost as though I now have to reinvent the wheel every time I go to the range. I'm falling farther and farther behind in my goals and see no reason for it other than INSUFFICIENT range time--nothing more, nothing less. I'm too new a shooter to be putting great spaces of time between practice sessions--Heck, I'm still trying to build my skill base.

And mostly I enjoy shooting too much to let this kind of thing happen......

Well, my first problem is that I'm still sick, yet I siezed the opportunity to sneak out of the house whilst my keepers were on a day trip to Lafayette. So while I did okay shooting the rifle from prone, standing on my hind paws was a little shaky. I could have sworn I was looking at my front sight exclusively, but ... who knows what really happened.

Then of course, I sneaked out again before they came home and went to the gym. I had to stop half way through my walking to breathe ... had to use the ol' inhaler a few times too. The weights were not my friend either, but the numbers were not bad.

I really do need full time adult supervision. ;)

Rhino, I am sorry to hear that Mary Alice is sick, send her my best. Hows bout a quick range trip friday morning? I just got back my light slide Kimber steel gun that I think you will enjoy. Gimme a call ace cause for some crazy reason I have shown a bit of improvement lately and hopefully can spread it around. Take care my friend, dont lose faith

I spoke to Rhino's mother and told her to ground him. I did tell her, though, that willfully being coop'd up with him may not be in her best interest (because of her mental health) or him (because his mom makes her own knives :ph34r:). :lol:

KK - you get to kick his a$$ for me, alright? You know more about trigger control than I do. Wax old school on him and learn that boy a trick or two. 50 yd plates sound good to me.

Don't get discouraged buddy. Just keep at it and remember that everything stems from the fundamentals. As long as you refocus on those every time you go to the range, your skill level will increase.

Thanks for the encouragement, Jakester!

Rhino, I am sorry to hear that Mary Alice is sick, send her my best. Hows bout a quick range trip friday morning? I just got back my light slide Kimber steel gun that I think you will enjoy. Gimme a call ace cause for some crazy reason I have shown a bit of improvement lately and hopefully can spread it around. Take care my friend, dont lose faith

Thanks for the concern about Mary Alice, but she is fine! The sick one is Junior, the Bushy AK Shorty. He needs a set screw for his rear sight!

Tomorrow is going to be tough. If the weather is clear, I'm going to be in Terre Haute offering some instruction to a young soldier who is headed to SW Asia soon. We may reschedule that for next Tuesday, though, so I'll contact you.

I spoke to Rhino's mother and told her to ground him. I did tell her, though, that willfully being coop'd up with him may not be in her best interest (because of her mental health) or him (because his mom makes her own knives ).

I ain't afraid o' her!

(note the false bravado, inspired by the fact that I know she won't be reading this)

RHINO-- this should give you confidence! U beat my ..... at KY STATE in 2003 in Limited-10 --- D CLASS. U can aim and hit great just concentrate RHINO DUDE.

Again, thanks for those pics sent again after my computer crashed up @ IN STATE this year. ;)B)

Ah-hah! I know who you are!!! Welcome to the Enosverse! You're right ... you're a formidable opponent!

You are most welcome for the photos. I'm glad I could help!

Re: my accuracy issues ...

Othe than the classifier, I didn't have much trouble today. It did take me ten shots to complete the Texas Star, but other than that I got mostly A hits.

As usual, the less time I have to actually think about what I am doing, the better I shoot.