Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Glasses

Zoomy

Ok, I know this suject has been discussed quite a bit. But most of the posts are 6 years or older.

I need some up to date info from people who have gone down the road of custom Rx shooting glasses.

I am a cross dominant right hand shooter and would like to know what the best lens combo including brands and lens color for uspsa and 3 gun. Should I go with bifocal or mono? Shooting eye focal point on the front sight or ahead slightly. Non shooting eye focused to infinity or the same as the shooting eye if mon lenses are used.

Most important I need to find an optometrist in the Northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin area that is expeienced in shooting sports. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Are contacts an option? I wear glasses daily and used a pair of Rudy's with the optical insert for shooting. I tried contacts solely for shooting and it's working much better for me.

Never tried contacts. They seem to be too much trouble when it gets windy and dusty. Might look into them some more. Rudy's are on my list.

I'm cross eye dominant. Let me start my rant. Hopefully it helps

I measured the distance from my eye to the front sight ( 29 inches). I went to the eye doctor and told her I wanted my eyes checked for that specific distance. I was fitted for Leader glasses setup with my dominant eye for 29 inches and my non dominant eye set for distance.

Here's the twist! Being left handed and right eye dominant, I made some inquiries about eye dominance and Brian Enos told me he tapes his non dominant eye. So now I have prescription shooting glasses where I tape my dominant eye set for 29 inches and my left eye is clear set for distance.

I probably just confused everyone more. If I did I'm sorry.

I actually took my Glock with me on my last eye appointment. I wear contacts, and needed something to clean up the sights, but still give me good down range vision. Ended up with a .75 perscription and had them made at Walmart for $100. After 6 matches, I can say I made the right choice....

Zoomy

I am in the same boat with you. I went with a single Vision prescription. Bifocals did NOT work for me.

My prescription is set for "computer" distance, which generally coincides with front sight post. I occlude the non shooting eye. Works well for me.

I like an amber or light purple lens, but that's probably a holdover from skeet shooting. In truth, I usually just use clear lenses.

You will have to educate your optometrist. Here is a link to some good articles by dr Norman Wong, an optometrist and accomplished shooter. http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html. They are not difficult to read. Some have been published in shooting sports USA.

I tried distance lens in non shooting eye and front sight focal length in shooting eye. Those glasses have me a tremendous headache.

Hope this helps

-john

Thanks for the input everyone. I have spoken to my optometrist and she thinks I should stay away from the bifocals. She said we might have to experiment a little but she thinks she has some ideas that might work.

I asked about color on the New Member side and there seems to be no single choice. Given that the colors for shotgun sports mostly work I think by blurring the background so the moving bird stands out I decided not to go with color. I have no desire to blur the background shooting practical stages with movement. If I had the money to experiment with color it would have been a light orange as worn in pictures by Michael Bane and Julie Golob among others.

My own choice is clear rather than colored for prescription though I'd try some colored lenses if they were cheaper - I could use non-prescription or colored lenses in front of a prescription insert I suppose but when I tried that I didn't like it either.

I'm getting mil-spec safety glasses with interchangeable lenses; a set of single vision focused for infinity and a single lens for the dominant eye at iron sight distance to swap in. Iron sight distance is not ideal for my red dot sights but I'm unable to find a perfect distance for the red dot sights I have. I've tried Vaseline and such to blur the non-dominant eye and I can imagine trying to in effect switch dominance with a frosted effect on the off-eye though with pistols shooting cross eyed has worked for some.