Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BCG

trlloyd

First, is a mil spec BCG going to be ok for 3 gun. It is what I can afford right now.

Second, if it is ok what spring/buffer should I use and can a mil spec BCG be improved on by using a specific spring/buffer?

Thanks

Todd

My background is milspec guns so I don't have an immediate answer but on a non-standard gun I recommend that you buy an H buffer and play with your adjustable gas block until it chokes the gun, then open it up a little to that its cycling, then open it a little extra to make sure youre always going to cycle. Is that possible with your adjustable gas block? I'm not familiar with a syrac, how many positions it has, etc.

Like Moltke stated, an H buffer will run many different gas systems and having the ability to adjust the gas block should make this pretty easy for you. FWIW, my 18" with rifle gas runs just fine with an H buffer and I've never had issues at all. I have run everything from an MK18 to this 18" rifle gas on an H buffer with no problems.

And to answer your first question, a quality mil-spec BCG from companies like Colt, BCM, LMT, or DD will pretty much handle anything you throw at it, including 3 gun. The difference comes when shooters start going for speed and lightening up things to reduce recoil. Then its a case by case basis.

The adjustable gas block is going to help you make the system work. If you don't get it going at first, play with it until it's working then give it just a little extra gas so you never had to worry about it not cycling.

Would this BCG be ok in my gun both legally and safe?

Description: Heavy bolt with 15 parts in this assembly with 11 improvements. Complete, mil-spec assembly with bolt, bolt carrier, and firing pin ready to drop into the rifle or carbine upper of your choice. Features a shot-peened bolt for increased surface strength and durability, and an extractor booster to ensure reliable cycling during rapid semi-auto or full-auto fire (tested full-auto 2/10/13). Includes Colt M16 firing pin upgrade. Each assembly is magnetic particle inspection tested to ensure it’s free from imperfections that can lead to premature failures. Properly staked gas key prevents gas leakage that can lead to short stroking. Available in .223/5.56mm This assembly is made to last and to perform in the worst conditions. will perform "dry" without damage. Staked screws, parkerized exterior with hardened interior for bolt and cam pin.

Ya the M16 profile bolt carrier is fine to use in the AR15 as it is just a little heavier than the Ar15 one. The buffer you use depends on the stock. If it uses a rifle buffer tube you need a rifle buffer. If its a carbine buffer tube you use a carbine buffer. I run standard non lightened Bolt carriers on all my guns and see no reason to change.

There is one for you at a very reasonable price as they are having a sale for the holidays

http://www.andersonrifles.net/

Buy from well known reputable companies and you should be fine. BCM has milspec BCG's in stock if you're looking for a milspec one. Otherwise companies like JP can offer reduced mass versions. Again, with your adjustable gas block you should be able to make a variety of things work well for your gun.