Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When the club runs out of target Holders

Angus Hobdell

Forget the target stands, some are so expensive there are some people I would use first. But I would be more concerned about the price of dirt, when you start using inhabited city blocks as your back berm.

Vlad

No seriously, isn't anyone worried about the backstop in that first photo? I mean knife throwers at the circus have been using pretty ladies for a while now and at the range shown in the second picture the shooter would have to be an exeptionaly bad shot to hit the target holder, but how could you not hit the building behind the target in the first photo?

I guess when you have more then 1 billion people life is cheap, but I suspect shooting pedestrians and grandma while she is making soup may be a bit out of the norm even in China.

Vlad

No seriously, isn't anyone worried about the backstop in that first photo? I mean knife throwers at the circus have been using pretty ladies for a while now and at the range shown in the second picture the shooter would have to be an exeptionaly bad shot to hit the target holder, but how could you not hit the building behind the target in the first photo?

I guess when you have more then 1 billion people life is cheap, but I suspect shooting pedestrians and grandma while she is making soup may be a bit out of the norm even in China.

Vlad

There is a Chinese hospital which sells kidneys, installed (parts and labor) for $70,000 with a very short waiting list, as they get the donor organs from prisoners. I am not sure if they shoot-to-order, or look for a patient after the final ceremony.

No seriously, isn't anyone worried about the backstop in that first photo?

A valid question and concern, and I don't have an answer for you except to say that possibly, just possibly, the angle of the photo is deceptive. However China is not the only place I've been where the backstops would scare the living doo-doo out of you.

I once went to a new IPSC region (don't ask, don't tell) to conduct an RO course and help them setup their first Level II match. When I got to the range, which I swear was right smack bang in the middle of downtown in the capitol city and right behind a major hotel, the range only had 8 feet high backstops.

To make matters worse, there were two large buildings behind the main range, and I soon discovered that the 20 storey one was Government offices, and the 4 storey one was a school. As you can probably imagine, I had a few questions to ask my new friends and, oddly for me, each question started with:

"WTF .......... ?"

Anyway, that region has since come a long way, and we all lived happily everafter.

:ph34r: