Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Dies for .357/38 Reloads?

ksshooter

Well I have a 550 that I purchased for Brian great guy and awsome press. I have only had this press for a few weeks so I am still getting used to it but I have loaded a lot of .45ACP rounds for my Glock 21 and this press works great, I have been using Dillons dies also.

What Dies does everyone recomend I have seen some complaints about Dillon's Dies on other boards however I haven't had any problem with my .45 ACP dies I think they were mainly based around not fully sizing the brass for unsupported chambers but this is just a guess?

I will be loading for a S&W 686 PP in mostly .357 mag, I guess I don't see the benifits of loading for .38 in this gun but maybee lower recoil, the dies should work for both right? I am a little new to pistol reloading so any info would be greatly appreciated. I will be probably using the same powder "Tightgroup" for these loads and maybee Berry's bullets I can get them for a good price.

the dies should work for both right?
Yes. You will need to adjust the bullet seating depth and the location of the crimp for the two calibers. You don't need to worry about getting 100% of the case resized like you do in non revolver calibers. Have fun.

I also load 38/357 for a 686 (and 45 ACP and 45 Colt and 223 and…) and I use a 650. I only use Dillon dies (except for the occasional Lee FCD crimp die for auto pistol) and I can’t imagine using anything else.

You won’t be sorry ponying up the extra couple of bucks for Dillon.

Ed

Just to throw in a dissenting vote here, let me suggest that you also look at the Redding Pro Series titanium carbide die set with the micrometer seating die. Everything on my loading bench is blue, but for my reloading dies. The Redding Pro dies are hard to beat and the micrometer adjuster for bullet seating is very handy for making quick and accurate seating depth changes. Dillon even sells the micrometer seating die for some of the rifle calibers. The Redding dies are not cheap-at ~$100 for the set, you will pay nearly double what the Dillon die sets go for.