Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

100gr Minor loads and steel

kneelingatlas

I'm looking for some advice: I've been shooting 9 Major from my CZ Open gun using 135gr bullets over 7gr of HS6; it's soft shooting, but certainly not flat. I also tried these loads in my Tanfoglio with 12 barrel ports and they're even worse, so I tried a 100gr bullet over 9gr of SP2 and WOW!

I realize I'll have a hard time making Major with 100gr bullets, but I won't have 115s for a month, so I'm OK with shooting Minor for the time being.

The only thing I'm worried about is the steel, will a 100gr bullet traveling 1470fps knock the plates off a Texas Star?

I'm shooting a match Saturday and it won't be any fun if the bullets are bouncing off the steel (I watched a guy with an Open Glock shooting Minor 115s empty a whole mag on the Star and it just smiled back).

I would be surprised if you have accuracy after 20 yards with those bullets, if they are roundnose. Usually the JHP in that range will shoot well at distance but the round nose opens up after 15-20 yards....

I would try some before you load a lot up. Also realize that bullets like that at that velocity will turn into flying debris and little buzzsaws on steel. I am still digging out chunks of 95jhps at over 1300 from a recent steel match from another competitior.....

Good luck,

DougC

Yes, I've shot the 95gr MG JHP at speeds slower than that and was able to knock down poppers and star plates. At that speed, you are running close to 150PF so I can't see that not knocking them off. If they don't, it should be an REF :)

I am still digging out chunks of 95jhps at over 1300 from a recent steel match from another competitior.....

Good luck,

DougC

Ah, I see where you're going with that. Perhaps you should be directing your concerns toward the competitors who used their major P.F. open gun loads despite your pre-match admonition.

Nope, there were others :goof: .......and I did speak to those that I caught...... I ran that load for a while as well.....just part of the learning curve I guess....I still have a half full ammo can of it that I run in the MP 5 when test them....

DougC

Nope, there were others :goof: .......and I did speak to those that I caught...... I ran that load for a while as well.....just part of the learning curve I guess....I still have a half full ammo can of it that I run in the MP 5 when test them....

DougC

My 95-gr. JHP 9mm minor load is at the end of my personal learning curve.

I'm running it through my SS 9mm 1911s, my XD Production guns, and my wide-body STI steel guns. I much prefer the minimal muzzle rise and snappy slide function of that load to the sluggish feel of the typical heavy-bullet 9mm loads.

I'm running it through my SS 9mm 1911s, my XD Production guns, and my wide-body STI steel guns. I much prefer the minimal muzzle rise and snappy slide function of that load to the sluggish feel of the typical heavy-bullet 9mm loads.

I'm all amped up about using light bullets in my compensated guns, but I never though to try them in a non compensated one; I've been pretty happy with heavy bullets for Production and Limited. What powder do you use on those loads?

Usually the JHP in that range will shoot well at distance but the round nose opens up after 15-20 yards....

Confirmed. My round nosed loads put them all in a quarter at 10 yards, then opened up to a tennis ball at 25, although I don't think that's going to hold me back in my local match tomorrow; 25 yards shots are few and far between.

I shot a match today with the 100gr Open loads and experienced surprising accuracy; I shot one stage with all As and groups were tight (~1" spreads on easy targets).

The only problem was some feed trouble (I could only load to 1.08"): I had half a dozen double feeds so bad I had to pull the mag and reload :(.

I crono'd a whole bunch of combinations which I'll post tomorrow (I did have some rounds make Major in my CZ Open gun!

ReloadingData_zps6da66e6d.jpg

The 100gr in my CZ75B felt pretty good and snapped back on target quickly, but if I want to make Minor I'll have to juice them up a bit; I think I still like the fat pills for Production loads.

Oh yea, and those little bastards knocked over the steel without a problem.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I'm all amped up about using light bullets in my compensated guns, but I never though to try them in a non compensated one; I've been pretty happy with heavy bullets for Production and Limited. What powder do you use on those loads?

VV N320

• 2 weeks later...

I realize I'll have a hard time making Major with 100gr bullets, but I won't have 115s for a month, so I'm OK with shooting Minor for the time being.

More like an impossible time making major with 100gr bullets. The minimum for major is 112gr, per the rules.

More like an impossible time making major with 100gr bullets. The minimum for major is 112gr, per the rules.

Yes, some else brought that to my attention. It's a damn shame too, because 9.3 grains of HS6 made 165PF (albeit scored minor :rolleyes: ) in my CZ and was flat as can be!

Edited by kneelingatlas

will a 100gr bullet traveling 1470fps knock the plates off a Texas Star?

Unfortunately there were no Texas Stars at this match, but in case anyone is interested, a single shot knocked down every piece of steel.

Edited by kneelingatlas