Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eotech vs Bushnell

sfinney

Ok, what the big differenc between an Eotech and a Bushnell holosight - made by same company, and I know the Eotech offers the Tactical verisons with night vision and the protective guard covering it, but other than that - is a 1 min dot, 65 min circle N battery Bushnell the same sight as a Eotech like the 511 with the same reticle, sans guard?

Been pricing them, and the Bushnell is much cheaper.... unless the Eotech offers something I'm missing on the basic sight, what do you get for the extra dough?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply...... yeah, I gathered as much, one has a mil contract #, and one does not..... but is there a REAL difference in the guts and durability, or is one just more expensive because Eotech says so - thats my real question I guess.

Having been in the military, there were many instances where the miltary version of a civilian product cost more, but wasn't any different - its just to get the contract, the company has to put the product through strenuous testing and certification, which costs money and adds to the price.

I'll gladly pay the extra 100 bucks for the Eotech if its actually built better, don't get me wrong. But for light semi-irregular use on a 3-Gun AR, is one as the good as the other, from practical experience? (I'm not concerned over whether it has the "Tactical" guard on it, just actual operation) - just checking.

Accoridng to EO, the electronics are different and as far as I understand the military version is basically filled in with some for of glue, to make it even more shock proof. Plus the military versions have the metal hood which can not be retrofited on the civilian version. I'm actually considering one myself and I think I'm going to go with the military N-type battery non-nightvison model.

Vlad

Sean,

In this case there is a big difference in the products. The electronics, and shockproofing are quite a bit different between the two. As far as the protective hood goes, it is all steel on the eo and is integral to the mount so that alone is exponentially better than the bushnell. The mount makes the Eo very repeatable with respect to return to zero and the bushnell is a nightmare. IMHO the few extra dineros is well worth it in this case and I am a pretty cheap bastard.

Vlad, awesome choice, you won't be disappointed.

Craig

Dave,

I always thought EO had not made a model without the metal hood. But I just went to Eo's webpage and saw they have a 502 model which does not have the metal hood/mount. I have not seen this before and maybe it is being offered as a price point option for the better electronics without the weight of the hood. Maybe it will prove to be an alternative to cmores. All of the 510/550 models have the cage/mount. The difference is the 550's are NV compatible.

Here's the link Eotech

You can see the Bushnell's and the Eo's there.

Craig

After your earlier post is the first time I have been aware of the EO without the metal cage. So to be honest with you I can't say for sure. When I was researching the Eo before I bought mine Eo was very deliberate in pointing out that they manufactured the Bushnell but the Bushnell was not built to the same specs as the EO's. It was built to Bushnell's spec in order to meet a price point.

My assumption is that Eo made a model without the cage to save weight. The metal caged Eo's are noticeably heavier. Whether or not the 502 has the EO's internals and shockproofing vs. having the Bushnell's is something you may want to drop a line to EO about.

I do know this. The Bushnell is not the same internally as EO's 510/550 models. As a matter of fact after seeing a couple of the bushy's in action they are not in the same league as the EO's. I was at Gunsite for 556 and two guys with department issue Bushnells (they are the same) had them torn off and in the trunk by day two because they could not get them to stay zeroed. That was with the sight on the weapon, no removal.

just to let you guys know, doug jones has an awsome mount for the eotech. doug removes the hood and uses the holes for his special mount which places the sight mere milimeters from the slide. by using a conventional mount the sight is a good two inches above the slide.

give his a call he is in the front sight magazine.