Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead Level in your blood

i dont use lead and dont shoot indoors. I followed all if not all of the advise here. thanks guys.

will lead crystal give me high levels of lead? I put some cognac on one of these and would like to know if it will do me any harm.

thanks again

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Remington Arms, they monitored our hearing and lead levels as part of an annual physical. I did product engineering on guns at Ilion and on ammunition at Bridgeport. DuPont (our parent company then) took it all very seriously. Our exposure was both from firing and from making ammo. We made primers, lead shot, slugs, buckshot, etc. And everyone could stay below limits if they just wore their gloves and did not stick dirty gloved fingers into their ears. Really. So can you.

I did a calculation of the exposure due to lead oxide left on cases and guns, and I will summarize that one by saying that if you do not lick your cases and gloved hands clean as you handle cases and clean your guns, you unlikely to ever live long enough to get enough lead exposure in a lifetime of relaoding and cleaning guns to hurt you. I would be more worried about the cleaning materials.

The biggest problems do appear to be casting bullets and poorly ventilated indoor ranges.

Billski