Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

more rounds in the magazine?

olp73

I think with the 12 Round mags, if you take one of the Tanfoglio aluminum pad and mill it out hollow, you gain enough to gain I believe 2 rounds in .40. Tanfoglio used to have an aluminum pad that was hollow, maybe they still do? Like Phil said, it will be enough to get back into shooting. Get at it and have fun!!

olp,

I've sorted out a few things that might be useful for you.

I've been helped by Giuseppe Todaro, a fellow shooter who happens to be the actual European Modified Team Italy champion, who shoots extensively Tanfoglios in all divisions except Revolver.

He adviced the following:

- You could make a special order to Tanfoglio (if your local laws allow this) for a high capacity frame to fit your slide and barrel. It's the most radical solution and it may cost 2/3 of a new gun. It would give you the advantages of the Limited Custom HC frame, while retaining your own barrel and slide.

The advantage of this is minimal, because you would anyway get a new grip, trigger pull and so on to get accustomed to.

- You could install on your mags the Tanfoglio aluminum hollow base pads, those actually in use with the Limited Custom HC magazines (item #61 on the on-line catalog in Tanfoglio website, section Components & Kits/Components). By tweaking the spring, shortening the follower legs (they really don't need to be that long, you could cut them to 1/3) and using those hollow pads you should gain 2 or maybe even 3 rounds. If you want to go radical with this, you can cut out the whole follower legs and epoxy the follower to the spring or, as Giuseppe does in his modified mags, heat up the spring and sink it into the follower (sort of welding the plastic onto the spring).

Hope this helps.

Though the site deals primarily with Tanfoglio's main competitor (CZ) you might look for leads on IPSC-experienced Scandinavian gunsmiths at www.strictlyIPSC.com - for your convenience, it even has a version in Swedish which I know you Norwegians understand perfectly. I believe one of the smiths mentioned on the site has made custom base-pads for IPSC. The site's author, Johnie, shoots a .40 cal Standard IPSC that has little in common with the Tanfoglios I know of (at least the limited selection we get here in the USA).

olp,

Before I go on please excuse my ignorance on your shooting platform. I owned a EAA-Witness a very long time ago but switched to the 1911 and never looked back. Anyway, aren't the CZ and Tanfo mags interchangeable?

I went to the CZ-USA website and they only adverstise 10 round mags, but why don't you try to contact Angus Hobdell and ask him what's out there magazine-wise for the CZ platform. They make a very decent IPSC-standard gun, thus I would think hi-caps should be available or the product just wouldn't be competitive.

Just my $0.2

Good luck!

Mags are available for the Tactical Sport but they are Euro IPSC magazines not 140mm USPSA legal magazine, CZ are working on a base pad to increase the lenght and capacity.

BTW today I had a revelation.

I managed to squezze 19(YES )19 9mm into a flush fitting CZ magazine and it works flawlessly.

Mags are available for the Tactical Sport but they are Euro IPSC magazines not 140mm USPSA legal magazine, CZ are working on a base pad to increase the lenght and capacity.

BTW today I had a revelation.

I managed to squezze 19(YES )19 9mm into a flush fitting CZ magazine and it works flawlessly.

Tactical sport? Are we talking about a cz model here? Will these magazines fit my gun? It is a Tanfoglio small frame?

olp

• 3 weeks later...

No the tactical sport magazine is a large format, I also do not belive the CZ small format mags will fit or work in the tanfoglio, I tried it the other way around and the mag catch holes are different.

BUT maybe the new follower and spring we are working on may help. It took me fro 16 rnds to 19rns in 9mm

No the tactical sport magazine is a large format, I also do not belive the CZ small format mags will fit or work in the tanfoglio, I tried it the other way around and the mag catch holes are different.

BUT maybe the new follower and spring we are working on may help. It took me fro 16 rnds to 19rns in 9mm

This sounds more than interesting. Where can I get one? Is it in production yet!!?? I need quite a few.

couldn't find the "HC" model on the Tanfoglio website. Did see a new STS S_I copy, is that new or am I behind?

Dirtypool,

it has been named Stock Custom, under the Sport & Competition section of the Tanfoglio website.

The STS is not really new, it's been around here since maybe 2001. IIRC, it's made by SPS and stamped Tanfoglio (hence STS).

Thanks Luke, I wondered what was going on.

so the difference between the LIMTIED custom and STOCK custom is frame size?

<<Jeez, the more I read on that site the confused-er I get. :wacko: Is the Stock a production pistol and the Limited is for Standard? Oh, screw it, I shoot a S_I, why am I cluttering my mind with this stuff. Neat guns, but I can't figure out the code....>>

Dirtypool,

according to Tanfoglio website, the Stock Custom has been made by mating a (older version) Stock top end (9mm) to a Limited Custom (.40") frame.

Curiously, in the last 2/3 years, Tanfoglio has been producing the Limited Custom in 9x21 mm too. We have always considered it a useless pistol, due to the fact that it was not suitable for IPSC Standard Division (being scored minor) and was simply too expensive for plinking or occasional shooting.

Thus, apart from the double action trigger of the Stock Custom, I'd say that it's pretty much the same gun.

BTW, I haven't been able to handle one (yet) but my feeling is that, being the Stock Custom based on a large caliber frame, if the Limited Custom had a capacity of 17+1 (tricked), the capacity of the Stock Custom should be waaaayy better than the declared 16+1! ;)

Sorry, my fault in aswering your previous question (I supposed you were talking about the Production Division gun), you're on the right track: The Stock is for Production Division and the Limited is for Limited/Standard Division.

• 8 years later...