Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Grip Variation/tuning

MikeRush

I picked up a used gun with a new STI grip on it, and it is "less reloadable" than other STI grips I have encountered. What I mean by that is that my magazines that gave me no trouble in other grips (28 rd 170 38 super 21 rd .40 and 18 rd 40) do not want to seat when loaded to capacity. I tried the grip on two separate frames/guns and got the same result. Is possible to cut the magazine catch of that particular grip to give myself a little more room for seating the magazines? I shot a stage yesterday that quickly became a circus after the mag spontaneously dropped when firing the first shot, and one a couple of weeks back my big stick dropped out of my open gun on the draw. The magazines are far more difficult to seat than with other grips, which tells me I haven't just started spontaneously releasing mags just because the grip is grey. Anyone else encounter something similar, or have a solution besides downloading the mags? I know a lot of people here are biased against chasing that last round, but these mags have been perfectly reliable at max capacity with other grips.

Ran into a similar situation. I went with, what should be our mantra, the adage, destroy the cheapest part first. The mag release. you can lower the shelf that retains the magazine. Just be aware that as you lower the shelf, you are loosing real estate that is used to hold the magazine.

1. change out the mag release to ensure that it isnt a random part issue.

2. see how high the magazine sits, locked in the gun, when the slide is off of the frame or locked to the rear.

3. Sharpie the mag above from the opening upwards (see pic)

4. fully loaded, insert the magazine and attempt to seat.

5. repeat several times, until there is a definite wear mark showing where the mag catch is reaching/stopping

6. if you have determined that the adequate results can be achieved from working on the mag catch, proceed with slow, deliberate cutting. ensure that the catch area is flat.

th_FB80D4A5-373C-4A2D-A551-DE0CE1675599-

th_5C29D2DC-599E-4294-A7C9-911FA4B9DD3F-

Did you take off the grip to make sure the screw bushings were seated properly?

Some of the older screw bushings have a beveled side to make clearance for the mags.

I re-read and missed the part about you already moved this grip to other guns, so.....

Looks like changing the mag catch to one that you know works would be another trial.

Edited by HI5-O

• 3 weeks later...