Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quad loading on a versamax.

How easy is it for you? I seem to have some issues with the second set of shells hitting the bolt release area and handguard in front of it. Ill probably taper the handguard in that area soon. Its getting better, just looking to see if anyone has some quick tips.

Once the front shell enters the tube, try twisting your hand up, or to one side a little. If your loading port is opened with sloping down sides instead of the square cut some people out on them, that also helps. You can also try slotting the hand guard. You do not want to remove material from the sides of the hand guard.

How easy is it for you? I seem to have some issues with the second set of shells hitting the bolt release area and handguard in front of it. Ill probably taper the handguard in that area soon. Its getting better, just looking to see if anyone has some quick tips.

Rereading you post, I'm assuming you're right handed you must be doing a strong hand reload?

All I can offer is more practice.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

The Quad, at speed is more complicated and certainly takes more practice. Much more than TWinS, but much less than traditional weak/strong hand load 4.

Even for the guys who have it mastered, the Quad is maybe 1/2 second faster than TWinS, so for most matches and situations, you are not losing much that can't be made up elsewhere.

The Quad, at speed is more complicated and certainly takes more practice. Much more than TWinS, but much less than traditional weak/strong hand load 4.

Even for the guys who have it mastered, the Quad is maybe 1/2 second faster than TWinS, so for most matches and situations, you are not losing much that can't be made up elsewhere.

I did bevel the foregrip on my VM at a 45 degree angle and still want to remove some more material since it does get in the way for me.

As far as speed goes though, I train with a guy who can quad load 8 in 3.8 seconds routinely. The best I've ever been able to do load-2 was 5.4 seconds. Of course when on the move, etc.. it's always about who's the smoothest and doesn't bobble shells. He wins on that front too :)

Well I practiced until my fingers bled (literally). With about a 25% success rate I can load 8 in under 5 seconds. Its getting better. I ended up tapering the sides of my handguard 45* which helped A LOT. I also then deepened the loading port on the side my thumb rides on to try and help a little. So now I have a pretty asymetrical shotgun but its functional!

I always add +50% to my estimate when it comes to an actual match. That puts me at about 9 seconds for 8 ;)

I'm there with you, but 4 of my 8 seem to end up on the ground :(

I like to think of them as gifts for the RO....