Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 die setup headspace issues

I've tried searching but found nothing on here that helps me with my issue. This has been driving me nuts and I cannot seem to figure out what is wrong.

I have a 550 and Dillon dies. I am trying to setup the Dillon full length sizing die for 223 in conjunction with using a LE Wilson headspace gauge. I know the manual says to start with the die barely touching the shellplate, but I started a few turns off from the die touching and went down in 1/4 turn increments to see if I could get the correct headspace further up. Everytime I'd pull the handle, let it resize and then take it out and check the case head in the LE Wilson gauge. I kept repeating this process until the die was so far in that it hit the shellplate (not be able to go further) without it passing on the headspace gauge.

What is wrong here? I've been able to do this on a single stage without an issue but it seems either the die body is somehow too long or I am completely missing something here.

Anyone else have this issue? Do I need a different FL sizing die from another manufacturer? Suggestions?

With an empty Shellplate, run the handle all the way down. Screw in the sizing die until it snugly bottoms out on the Shellplate. The pull the handle back up. and screw in the die 1/4 more turn. The check a case in the case gage. If it still doesn't go in all the way, you can screw the die in up to one more 1/4 turn.

With the die adjsuted like that, you should feel the linkage "cam over" at the bottom of the stroke.