Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

69 SMK and TAC

Onagoth

Incredibly, I managed to find some 53s, Sierra #1400 which comes highly recommended to me from 2 shooters I know. I will give those a try and hopefully get something going here. Won't get them though for 10 days, so I have lots of time to prep some brass. :)

I had terrible luck with Hornady 75s in all of my rifles and with several different powders. Hornady 68s were better. Try the 69s and the 8208. That has been dynimite for me. I've gotten excellent results from SMK 69gr and Nosler 69gr using, 8208, H4895, Benchmark and Varget. The first two being my personal favorites, there are lots of combos which will work. Funny thing though, I've been using Hornady 55gr fmj more and more and at further and further distances. Lately, I've only been breaking out the 69gr loads when I really need to rock the steel and get my hit call. But I have been stretching the budget to pay for 308.

Incredibly, I managed to find some 53s, Sierra #1400 which comes highly recommended to me from 2 shooters I know. I will give those a try and hopefully get something going here. Won't get them though for 10 days, so I have lots of time to prep some brass. :)

Just as a point of reference I run a 50g Vmax with 24.8g of TAC @ 2.250 OAL. I will do under MOA in my 1-8 twist 18 inch AR and well under 1/2 MOA out of my 1-9 R700 20 inch bolt gun.

I came across a couple hundred moly coated flat bottomed Sierra 53g HPs on a trade and quickly loaded them up for upcoming local match just to burn through them. Same load 24.8 gave me very similar results. I didn't even have to adjust zero, I tested on the 50 yard line and shot a few clays out at the 200 yard line called it good enough.

Just realize that when you go under 55 grains, barrel and comp life do become reduced.

I've never heard that before, and I wouldn't of though any wear on the comp would occur.

Admittedly though, I have never had an AR long enough to get to the point where wear becomes an issue. I'm somewhat of an upgrader :D

Edited by Onagoth

I had terrible luck with Hornady 75s in all of my rifles and with several different powders. Hornady 68s were better. Try the 69s and the 8208. That has been dynimite for me. I've gotten excellent results from SMK 69gr and Nosler 69gr using, 8208, H4895, Benchmark and Varget. The first two being my personal favorites, there are lots of combos which will work. Funny thing though, I've been using Hornady 55gr fmj more and more and at further and further distances. Lately, I've only been breaking out the 69gr loads when I really need to rock the steel and get my hit call. But I have been stretching the budget to pay for 308.

I'll try some out with the 8208...I think the 69SMK just isn't that ideal for my barrel though.

The lighter shorter bullets result in higher temperatures. Gas port erosion, as well a comp baffle erosion is increased.

Some comps are blown out and start losing effectiveness after 7 to 8 k.

It's all still a trade off. Varget, being slow, really noticeable.