Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

69 SMK and TAC

Onagoth

Well, I have a boatload of TAC and 69 SMKs, but I just can't seem to get any MOA or sub-MOA groups from my rifle.

What am I doing wrong or should I just give up on this combination? Both powders and bullets are hard to find right now and trying to get something going with these components seems to be my only option.

Best groups are 1.5" at 110y. I've loaded 23-5 to 24.5 charges seated to 2.2" and shot them through my 18" 1:8 stag upper.

Any advice is helpful,

how well did your firle shoot with other 69 loads? If they shot better with another powder go back to that powder. What powder you use can make a difference in how your gun shoots. You can also try a hotter primer to spark things off better; somethimes that is whats required for ball powder but it should not make a difference. You also dont list velocity, ES or SD. If you ES and SD numbers are high then that indicates that your powder primer combo is not optimal. Since you did not indicate how well the gun shoots with other loads you should pull a bullet and look for shaving. In general crimping will not help accuracy.

Thanks guys,

The velocities I did see when chronographed was 2800 avg, with a spread of around 40 fps. That was with 24.3 grains which seemed to be the best.

Initially I was loading to 2.25 OAL but didn't get any positive results from there either, thats when a friend suggested loading to 2.2.

2800fps is a good velocity for the 69gr SMK. First, take your rifle to a range with distance as far out as you will shoot in the FNH match. See how they hit at distance. There is a difference between bench rest accuracy and practical accuracy. 1.5moa is probably good enough to get the job done. If you can't hit a 10" plate reliably at say 300yds, then start to worry. An alternate powder, which you may be able to find if you look around would be IMR-8208. It's sort of a mini varget. Same temp stability, excellent velocity and has smaller grains than Varget, so it meters better. I get excellent accuracy from 8208 and very consistent velocity with no perceptible temp shift.

I don't feel as bad as I do desperate. FNH is only 6 weeks away and I dont have a LR rifle load yet :surprise:

For my long range loads with 77 grain bullets I run Vitavory N135. Never found anything better for accuracy. My buddy uses it with great luck with 69's as well.

pat

tried that load of RL15 already...nothing to write home about.

Gonna see if I can find some 77s today and try them out.

Midway USA had 77 SMKs W/C in 500 ct boxes early this week.

I have been running 69 SMK with 24.1 gr TAC. Consistently getting MOA but nothing better. However in my SPR with 18" White Oak 1:7 bbl, I am good on 4 MOA plates out to 500 yards.

Horndady 75 Amax bullets are not meant to be fed from the magazine. They are for single loading for slow fire portions of Highpower matches. You want 75 BTHP bullets, those are for feeding from magazines.

lol...I just learned this tonight. Onto the shelf they go

Horndady 75 Amax bullets are not meant to be fed from the magazine. They are for single loading for slow fire portions of Highpower matches. You want 75 BTHP bullets, those are for feeding from magazines.

As I posted earlier, try 52 - 55 grain bullets of quality in your gun. I believe FNH has 350 yards as the maximum distance. (that can change) Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tips shot just fine at Rocky Mountain 3 Gun last week. I don't think I can improve on 12 shots for 12 targets from 65 to 560 yards, faster yes, less shots, no.

As I posted earlier, try 52 - 55 grain bullets of quality in your gun. I believe FNH has 350 yards as the maximum distance. (that can change) Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tips shot just fine at Rocky Mountain 3 Gun last week. I don't think I can improve on 12 shots for 12 targets from 65 to 560 yards, faster yes, less shots, no.

What was the wind conditions like when you shot that. I have found that my 52's get blown around a lot more and in matches where they use flashers or Larue's at long range the 77's have more thump to put the targets down and are faster to see activate on flashers.

Pat