Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifieds pricing

mpk1996

Supply & Demand....

Products are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

If I want to buy your property, whether it be your house, your classic Corvette, or your Glock 19 then I will have to pay market price. The market price on all items does vary based on supply and demand. Baseball cards, Furbies, Beanie Babies, and PMAGs may vary in price over a set period of time.

People will always want to get maximium value for selling their property. If they don't sell it at X price then they'll lower the price or be stuck with the product. The same is true for retailers or private sellers.

Some used guns bring a higher value than others when compared to the MSRP. Comparing it to a military discounted price is an extremely skewed way to look at price shopping as a whole. Military discounts are not an entitelment, but they can save a good bit off of retail. Not all retailers do this. We give 5%, for example, even on used guns.

Stating something shouldn't be sold above retail is a bit silly. Look at gas prices...or stock prices...or gold prices...or home prices...or natural gas prices...or *****?

Propane for instance has gone down over recent years. I'm not going to pay the "retail" price of 2010 if I can get it cheaper now. I'm also going to strive to sell my property at the current market value, which may be below or above what some consider the ceiling on price.

Personally, I try to buy low and sell high, regardless if its a personal or business transaction. Many times this is not obtainable, but its a good goal. If someone asks too much for a product then they'll net a 0% profit on their unreasonable price. If someone buys the product, then it was worth that much to that individual and nobody got hurt. One seller doesn't control the market so its not really "gouging". There is no monopoly there.

Edited by JoeBoboutfitters

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you place a different value on the cost of your time, and you are willing to spend hours (??) in search of a deal or the timing of something to be back in stock or in your hands vs another who doesn't mind paying for the convenience of something available now, good to go.

Also here in California, a $700 gun retail price is really over $800 to get it out the door new after tax and registration, IF you can find it. Or over $900 if you need to FFL/ship it in and then SSE it because it's not on the California approved roster. And you still have to find it, which is not easy for many models. ... So actually buying a used gun private party at even the normal retail price could save you several hundred over new.

Edited by trgt