Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which press or presses for loading rifle cartridges?!

Beacon22

I have been loading pistol cartridges on two 650 presses for about three years and would like to add a third press to be dedicated to rifle rounds. I just don't know what to go with. I have been considering either a Redding single stage, Dillon 550B, or a Forster Bi-ax.

I'll only be loading 3 calibers more than likely: .300 Win Mag, .30-06, and .223.

I don't do any bench rest shooting so accuracy does not have to be tremendous but would like it to be as good or better than factory.

I only see myself loading maybe 1000 rounds a year.

I don't have a budget, just want the perfect setup.

Any help with advice would be great.

All depends on what you want. You want plenty of fast made plinking ammo....get a progressive press. You want very high accuracy ammo...use a single stage. Or get a semi-compromise and get an auto indexing turret press.

I personally just use a Lee Challenger single stage press, as I like to be in control of all the steps. But I keep eyeballing that turret....... :goof:

I'm seriously looking at a Redding T7 Turret press. Apparently accuracy is not sacrificed with this press due to its design and rigidity. I was reading that the current 1000 yard bench rest record holder loads with a T7.

I use a Forster Co-Ax, the dies float and the case floats, this helps the reloader in making straight ammo, the Co-Ax also has 2-3 times the mechanical advantage versus any other press, die changes are in the 2 second range with no loss of adjustment, I also use a worn out RCBS Partner Press for at the range reloading, the slop helps in making straight ammo, but its easier with the Co-Ax, the T7 is a fine press, and the fact that the current WR holder uses one is note worthy, but in the world of Benchrest everything matters, and nothing is Stock or store bought, so his T7 has been reworked to ultra tolerances to match his custom made dies. I got a couple projects in the works, when they are done I'm going to a 550, and mount my Prometheus Gen2 on top.

All depends on what you want. You want plenty of fast made plinking ammo....get a progressive press. You want very high accuracy ammo...use a single stage. Or get a semi-compromise and get an auto indexing turret press.

I personally just use a Lee Challenger single stage press, as I like to be in control of all the steps. But I keep eyeballing that turret....... :goof:

I use my Dillon 550 for my precision ammo as well and have loads that are in the .55 moa range.

Pat

Do the .223 on one of your 650s.

I'm seriously looking at a Redding T7 Turret press. Apparently accuracy is not sacrificed with this press due to its design and rigidity. I was reading that the current 1000 yard bench rest record holder loads with a T7.

For the rest do this ^^^

I love my T7. You can keep both calibers setup in the turret, just swap out your shell holder and go.