Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holsters

I'm currently using the safariland 014. I haven't had it that long so I hate to say it's the best. After I put the lock on I can still lift the gun quite a bit in the holster. It won't come out but I just don't think I should be able to lift it that high with the lock on. Other than that It seems to be well made. The lock on mine is really stiff and not as easy to use as the racemaster. I've used the racemaster aslo and had a few issues with it to. It's ok as long as you draw the gun straight up and out. If you have any sort of twisting motion when you draw it will not want to come out of the holster. Probably going to put my racemaster in the classifieds soon.

Hey can you post some pics? Thats the same exact holster I have and the same thoughts so far. I haven't run it in a match as of yet.

I think a longer screw for the barrel plug will get it tighter.

8-3-20136-34-26PM_zpsfe4f8055.jpg

When its straight like this its got less movement.
6bd92ed0-37a8-43c8-adb3-670857cee8e7_zps
When its canted like this it has the movement shown in the video.
9a0257ae-413a-4386-9763-c5394f9f1fd3_zps
Edited by praetorian97

I've been using the Safariland 014 for open Tanfo and Caspian guns. I really like this holster and feel it is fast and secure.

It did take a little tweaking to remove the slop. Both the tanfo and later generation caspians have square trigger guards and I used the thick spacer that came with the holster (goes behind the trigger block to take out fore/aft slop) and then used a half round file to remove material until it was a nice sliding fit. Also had to adjust the muzzle platform height to get rid of vertical slop, and then tighten/loosen the tension knob to taste.

Also, if you have any questions call Safariland. They will help you out.

edit: the lock slider will become less stiff as you use it. Mine was stiff in the beginning, too, but now is just right.

Edited by Bamboo

Rigging up the Safariland holster to work with the square trigger guard EAA/Tanfo guns is not fun. I tried setting a 014 up to properly retain my limited gun and gave up after I realized that I would have to extensively modify the holster to make it work reliably.

If you are looking for a really good "Race" holster that is super adjustable and has a solid lock look at the Ghost, Double Alpha Race Master, or Universal Shooting Academy Futuristic Magnetic holster. I have owned all of these and liked the Universal Shooting Academy one the best due to its extensive position/angle adjustability and solid lock down of the gun when locked.

That being said, I choose to use a standard blade tech kydex holster due to its simplicity and reliability. If you practice enough drawing from a kydex holster is just as fast as doing it from a "Race" holster.