Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AMBIDEXTROUS MAGAZINE RELEASE FOR Gen 3 G34

stick

Sometimes being left handed is a royal pain in the butt. I use a G34 in IDPA and production is USPSA. I saw the C&S ambidextrous mag release on midway but its always out of stock. I use my middle finger on my left hand to drop the mag now, but I'm wondering can I be faster with a ambidextrous release using my strong hand thumb?

Here are my questions:

1) does anyone use it?

2) is it crap?

3) can I live without it?

4). If you answered no to #3, then where can I get one?

I am a right handed shooter with a 4th gen Glock 17. For the last year I have been shooting with my magazine release on the right side of the gun and I use my trigger finger to press the mag. I do not have large hands so I like this set up better as I don't have to break the grip to twist the gun to change mags. I do not think it is a significant advantage or disadvantage as far as time goes. But I am also a B Class shooter so take what i'm saying with a grain of salt.

It wouldn't be production legal.

Not kosher for a Gen 3, being an after market external modification; OK for Gen 4, being a factory available modification, right? :unsure:

Edited by kevin c

I use a C&S ambi release on both a 1911 and Browning Hi-Power. It works well. It's a little different motion in that you need to push it down toward the floor rather than in toward the frame. It's really easy to get used to and I have had no issues with it on the guns I mentioned which are both metal where the pivot contacts the frame. Not sure if it would feel any different against a plastic frame like a Glock has.

It wouldn't be production legal.

Not kosher for a Gen 3, being an after market external modification; OK for Gen 4, being a factory available modification, right? :unsure:

For a gen 4, it's not even a modification, it's flipping a part around. And yes, it would be a legal flip.

Didn't realize it wasn't production legal. I have long fingers, I have to use my middle finger to release the mag. I'be been doing it that way for so long, I think I'll just stay with it.

I've been shooting a Gen 3 Glock 34 for the past couple of years. Before that, a Gen 3 Glock 35. Last year I bought a Gen 4 17 because it was cheap and well, who doesn't like to own more guns? I use it for dry fire mostly as the trigger pull is heavier and it makes my Glock 34 feel really easy to shoot. I've always released the mag with my left middle finger like you do. Figured I'd switch the mag release to the other side and see what I was missing. I gave up on that real quick. Guess I've got too many reps in doing it the lefty way. I was just working on reloads in dry fire tonight and I can hit a 1 second reload when I push it. I did have to (still do sometimes) really practice getting on the mag release as fast as I could or the fresh mag would smack into the empty coming out.

I'll take it any day though over being right handed. All those stupid levers and buttons on the wrong side of the gun. Iv'e never popped a mag out on a table start and I never accidentally lock the slide back early or keep the slide from locking back when the gun is empty.