Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hybrid vs Non Hybrid Barrel

jrbet83

Ok we've heard the agreements and pros and cons of the 5" vs 6". But nothing about a hybrid barreled gun vs a standard barreled gun (bushing or bull). Lets hear some opinions from people that have run both. Pros, cons, thoughts?

I wondered this myself and happen to have a Limited Master in my squad at a Area Match who had one. He said he didn't think it was a huge difference but the gun did have a different feel to it. Said the best thing is that the fiber optic in the front site last longer.

3 main selling points. Faster front sight recovery because the sight does not move with the slide, a snappier recoil impulse and a little flatter shooting because of the reduced weight of the slide. The other side of the coin is that the balance of the pistol changes, I am building a 5 and 6" sight tracker (hybrid) to take advantage of the former not sure which one will win but it is sure is fun building them!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

The sight tracker barrel transfers weight from a reciprocating part (slide) to a non reciprocating part (barrel). I've got a Cameron's 5" .40 sight tracker and now looking to have them build another but in 9 just for 3 gun since I like it so much.

The fact that they shoot flatter I'd be willing to bet has more to do with the hunk of steel hanging off the end of the barrel verses the slide weight. Granted its alot simpler to make a hybrid slide light, due to the barrel notch but I don't see them being much if any lighter than I will designed lighted standard slide, just because other then the barrel notch, there's really not much more that you can do to lighten it, unless you like cracking slides.

I believe they play an equal role. Lighter slide and the physics stuff, mass, inertia and such. (Don't feel like arguing the math) As well the added weight of the rib. Believe what you will, it ultimately becomes a matter of preference from a look and feel perspective. Subjectivity rules the day once again!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I think you missed my point. Due to the fact that you can't do much if any additional slide lightening on a hybrid slide, I don't believe you can get a hybrid much lighter if any, then I well lightened standard slide.

I think you missed my point. Due to the fact that you can't do much if any additional slide lightening on a hybrid slide, I don't believe you can get a hybrid much lighter if any, then I well lightened standard slide.

You can still lighten a sight tracker slide. Here's a pic of mine:

sti40.jpg

Edited by rboyes

Very nice! How many rounds through it? The only reason I ask, is most of the big gun builders don't go completely through the slide like that on a hybrid barrel. My thinking is they're worried about longevity considering there's not alot of meat left between the rib cut and the slide lighting cuts.

What's your slide weight like that (with the sight, extractor and fp stop)?

Edited by jrbet83

Nope no point missed. I get that you have a predefined amount of material you are willing to remove for fear of the slide cracking. I have seen many examples on this very forum of substantial slide lightning on sight trackers. Again it is all personal preference and the taste for risk reward...

Very nice! How many rounds through it? The only reason I ask, is most of the big gun builders don't go completely through the slide like that on a hybrid barrel. My thinking is they're worried about longevity considering there's not alot of meat left between the rib cut and the slide lighting cuts.

What's your slide weight like that (with the sight, extractor and fp stop)?

I've got about 7,000 rounds through it. Not sure of the weight.