Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossad questions

harleyvet02

I recently picked up a Mossad pistol off Gunbroker. Bought it from CDI sales. It was my first gun purchase from Gunbroker and Gary made it a pleasure. The gun was better than described and he shipped fast and kept me informed.

My questions are:

Can I use the Mossad in production as is?

What production legal holster fits?

If I mill the slide for replacement sights are Novak cut sights a good option? I haven't measured the rear dovetail to see if there is enough metal to make that work. I would like to avoid rewelding.

I'm not sure how to post pics, so that may take a little while. The thing was DIRTY when I got it. Gary just imports these guns and then advertises them as is. I think whoever had been using it never cleaned off the original cosmoline and then shot the dirtiest powder out there. I did a wipe down and took it to the range. I had a few failures to return to battery and several nosedives into the feed ramp. I was using light reloads of 147gr FP moly precision bullets. These run great in my Glock 19. I will try some WWB on the next outing. The recoil spring had a definite curve to it when removed. I have a set of springs on the way from Wolff and new mag springs as well. I detail stripped and am polishing all of the suggested areas and can't wait to try it out again.

I do have to say that I love it so far. It fits me better than the Glock 35 I have been using and the SA trigger is a pleasure. DA is very stiff but I hope the springs and polish will help. Accuracy even with the failures to feed was great. I could get used to this.

I bought this as a cheap way to try a CZ type pistol and I am glad I did. I think EAA or CZ may be getting more of my money in the future.

I've looked at picking up one of these.... Is the Mossad model on the approved USPSA production gun list? Or is it "just another Witness or Tanfo"? I don't see it in the EAA or Tanfoglio list......

I also bought a Mossad off GB and really enjoyed it, if yours is anything like mine, just replace all the springs and it'll run like new.

Unfortunately the 'Mossad' is not on the Production list, but since its physically identical to the Witness steel, I would be surprised if anyone hassled you. Although mine came with the firing pin block removed, which is also illegal in Production.

Personally I go back and forth on whether I care if the pistol I'm shooting in Production is technically legal as long as it meets the intent. It seems a little silly that a $2,500 Custom Shadow without a firing pin block is legal for production, but a $300 Witness with the firing pin block removed is not.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I want to pick one of these up as a cheaper trainer and a cheap loaner gun. However, the inability to find a definitive answer as to whether or not it can be production legal is a bit annoying.

As others have said, it is basically a witness so...i guess maybe we should email John Amidon and bug him about it?

Range report:

I got new springs from Wolff and finally got them installed and went to the range. It ran perfectly. I only put about 100 rounds of 115gr fmj through it but did not have any of the ftf or failure to return to battery I had before. I used ad 14# hammer spring (wanted to use 13# but the spring in pack was too long), 12# recoil spring (may change to lower next visit). I also polished all contact surfaces but didn't touch the sear or hammer notches.

I really like this gun. DA trigger pull is much less "notchy" and the SA pull is a dream compared to my Glocks. Fist sized groups at 15-20 yards are the norm. My only problem is it shoots 6-8 inches low at 20 yards. Has anyone else had the same problem? I would like to change sights anyway and will likely mill the slide for a Novak front sight and some adjustable rear. I am open for suggestions on a rear sight. I can also tell you a CZ75 bladtech holster will not fit. Should I be looking for a EAA witness holster? Sorry still no pics.