Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 cal upper

gunner40sw

I just joined a new range and I am going through the ammo faster than I can afford it. What can everyone tell me about getting a 22 cal upper for my 2011. Do they fit , work, help in training? Who makes the best one? Or anything else you can tell me.

I put a Marvel Unit 1 on a 1911 for Steel Challenge. Originally I wanted to put it on my 2011 frame, but the price of 2211 (TacSol brand) mags or even the ones from Marvel is what kept me from doing that. In the 1911 I can run GSG mags that cost $30/ea, and at the same capacity if I was running the conversion on my 2011.

That said, love the Marvel. It is a ton of fun to shoot in Steel Challenge, and has been fairly reliable with all brands of ammo that I've tried.

I got the Tactical Solutions 22lr upper. It was a drop-in fit on my .45acp RIA 1911 and reliable.

On my 9mm STI 2011, I had to fit the TS slide to the STI frame. Also, the 22lr mags were hitting the STI extended ejector. I filed down the bottom part of the extended ejector and also put rubber bands on the baseplate of the mags to prevent contact between the mag and the ejector. The TS upper is now working fairly well with the STI lower, but not as reliable as when it's on the RIA lower. With the STI, I get more failure to fire problems. I think that's due to the STI having a lighter hammer spring.