Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SX3 Mods

LSnSC

I picked up a barely used 26" SX3 for a song. I added a +6 Nordic tube to it and put a case of shells through it without a hiccup. Im going to open the loading port up and bevel the forend to ease loading this weekend. I loaded it weakhand, stronghand and load two, without getting bit by the lifter, so I'm leaving it alone for now. Are there any other mods necessary?

Just so you know the Briley oversize bolt handle does not fit well. I have had 2 and both have come out during shooting. The brand new one smacked me in the face just below my safety glasses and left a big bruise and cut. Go with the Nordic. Fits much better and has never come out. My son and I both have SX3 and run the Nordic bolt handles. Great guns and run perfect. C-Rums is doing his lifter mods now and also did mine. He has the Nordic extension mag and I have the Briley, both of us have Nordic low drag followers. The lifter mod will save the the thumb when you get going at a match, it will bite you.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

Good choice of gun! I've been shooting SX3's for over 6 years now... I think I was one if the first to use them for practical!

My main gun was getting a bit worn, so I built up a new one for the Wold Champs in Hungary last year. This is what I did to turn anew gun into a race gun;

- Barrel chopped to 24" and re-choked (not vital, but I like my shotguns short!)

- Nordic +5 tube

- Norfic Clamp

- Nordic follower

- Briley cocking handle (I used to use Nordic ones, but had two break on me! They're have a weak point and crack easily - Briley ones are much better!)

- Arredondo carrier release bar - modded to fit

- flip up rear sight for slug

- sand back the forend where it over hangs the receiver - makes leading easier

I never touch the internals of the guns - I just put 1000rds through it to loosen it up! In my experience when you start playing about, you introduce unreliability. The fork in the lifter is there for a reason - get rid of it and you risk changing the timing of the action...

Get yourself a clamp, big carrier release, and big cocking handle and you should be good to go!

I put a Nordic release on, opened load port and Nordic extention. Lost the Nordic handle while shooting and seen several fall out of SLP's. I went back to the stock handle for the longest time, until that broke. I had a welded lifter went back to stock, not worth the hit in reliability.