Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Possible to seat a new primer over the old?

Jukez

I was wondering if this was possible. I had a situation where my dillon didn't deprime the brass and when I went to push the new primer in the handle didn't move as smoothly so I stopped and check to see what happened. Now I have had a incident where I pushed the handle forward (by accident wearing all the safety stuff) and it wasn't smooth and it made me think would it be possible to push a new primer into the old one and force it out that way without it going boom. Just curious not wanting to try it.. but makes me wonder if that was what happened the previous time it didn't go in so smoothly.

you end up seating the old one using the new primer as a "ram extension" the new primer gets crushed in the process leaving bits and priming compound everywhere

used to get that occasionally loading crimped 9mm that didn't want to deprime fully

Since you have not put powder or bullet on that case I would put a some water in a baggie, add the brass case and dispose of it.

I have had experience simply running the case in mention through resize and deprime, wearing all the safety stuff as you say. DO NOT follow through by lifting the handle and pressing it into the reprime position. Pull the case off the shell plate and make sure it is deprimed. You can recycle the brass or try again to prime it directly back on the #1 shell plate for Dillon 550.

Check also and make sure your deprime pin is not bent. I bent one and got your no deprime situation

Chuck

• 3 months later...