Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me pick out Redding dies for AR

Freeborn Man

Hi all,

I have a certificate for 50% off anything in the Redding catalog. I want to get dies for my 223 AR and have never loaded rifle rounds.

There are many options for dies and I'm not sure what to get. From what I gathered I want full length dies. I see they have competition, National Match, bushing, etc. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Matt

What is your goal?

The bushing dies give you control over the neck tension, as you can change that part of the die (bushing). But make sure you order some bushings, the dies will not work without them.

The competition seating dies have a micrometer to set seating depth, very good to make small repeatable changes.

For most rifle ammo, the basic dies are fine.

I have not found that I need small base dies for any of my rifles.

The bushing dies do not size the entire neck, only about 80% perhaps a bit less. If you plan on loading only one bullet, no need for the micrometer seating die. If you want to load different bullets for long shot, the Competition seater reduces the time to make adjustments.

• 3 weeks later...

The bushing dies do not size the entire neck, only about 80% perhaps a bit less. If you plan on loading only one bullet, no need for the micrometer seating die. If you want to load different bullets for long shot, the Competition seater reduces the time to make adjustments.

I saw this somewhere else, too. The S-type bushing die (FL) seems like the ticket for use with good brass (or all one head stamp of decent brass).

So, are you saying that no matter how you adjust the bushing, it won't resize the entire neck? (possibly causing a doughnut at the shoulder at some point, which would be bad for headspace, et al.)

If the bushing is adjustable, it would seem that you could adjust it to size the whole neck...

I am BRAND NEW to rifle reloading, so I am asking not arguing here... :)

IF I can use an S-type with interchangeable bushings, I would prefer to do so... but not if I have to turn case necks... I ain't THAT picky... yet. ;)

I'm using Redding dies on my 650 for loading 223, full length Small-Base Sizer die, Competition Seating die and Taper Crimp die. I have a Dillon Universal Decapping die on the first station to make sure it clears the flash hole before the primer station, works very well for me.

I saw this somewhere else, too. The S-type bushing die (FL) seems like the ticket for use with good brass (or all one head stamp of decent brass).

So, are you saying that no matter how you adjust the bushing, it won't resize the entire neck? (possibly causing a doughnut at the shoulder at some point, which would be bad for headspace, et al.)

If the bushing is adjustable, it would seem that you could adjust it to size the whole neck...

I am BRAND NEW to rifle reloading, so I am asking not arguing here... :)

IF I can use an S-type with interchangeable bushings, I would prefer to do so... but not if I have to turn case necks... I ain't THAT picky... yet. ;)

The reason it won't size the entire neck is because some material is required to support the bushing in front of the shoulder angle. Add the radius of the leading edge of the bushing bore and you get the neck sized 75-80% of the length.

If you're going to use the ammo in an AR, go with a full length sizing die.

Edited by Dan Sierpina